Objective-C 2.0

So compelling, Apple wrote Xcode 3.0 itself in it. Enjoy modern garbage collection, syntax enhancements, runtime performance improvements, and 64-bit support. At your own pace, since it’s backwards compatible with existing Objective-C source. Write applications more quickly with fewer bugs using Objective-C in Xcode 3.0.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Quote this message in a reply
Any links where can I get more info on OC2.0? I googled and also searched developer.apple.com and couldnt find anything. What 'syntax enhancements'? Yay automatic garbage collection, about frickin time. thanks.
"And you can include your NIBs in global refactoring tasks" - I wonder if this means XC3 comes with refactoring tools, or just that search/replace will work across code and NIBs?
Seems like XCode is picking up a lot of good features I'm used to in Eclipse. I like it.

Too bad http://connect.apple.com is still down Sad

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
codemattic Wrote:Any links where can I get more info on OC2.0? I googled and also searched developer.apple.com and couldnt find anything. What 'syntax enhancements'? Yay automatic garbage collection, about frickin time. thanks.

Well, it WAS just announced today Smile

this might be one of the best features of leopard Grin

Is XCode 3.0 Leopard only? I didn't see it in the downloads section of connect.apple.com before the site went down. If so, will I have to run the Leopard Preview in order to use it?

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
I really hope garbage collection is an optional feature.
Luminary
Certainly sounds like it is, if Xcode's the only Apple app that's using it Rasp

Personally, I'd rather it wasn't -- get all the control freaks off their high horses and into productive creation of Mac applications Wink Rasp
Xcode 3.0 is leopard only, Xcode 2.4 for Tiger should be available on connect.apple.com sometime today.

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Xcode-us...00096.html
OneSadCookie Wrote:get all the control freaks off their high horses and into productive creation of Mac applications Wink Rasp
Speaking of high horses...

Anyway, I'm liking the looks of Leopard so far. Maybe I'll actually upgrade right away when it comes out instead of waiting 6-10 months like I usually do. Smile
ThemsAllTook Wrote:I really hope garbage collection is an optional feature.
Agreed 100%. Of course, most of my stuff probably won't be in ObjectiveC anyway.
⌘-R in Chief
There is one big thing (other than GC) and a handful of small improvements in Obj-C 2.0. It's under NDA I think, so I'm not going to post them here. Garbage collection is the biggest thing.
Garbage collection will have to be optional since it will make any app using it non-backwards-compatible with the current (non GC) Obj-C runtime in any OS X version prior to 10.5, right?
yea, probably...

woah! if you man gcc, it appears that you already have garbage collection (haven't tried it yet)
Code:
−fobjc−gc
Enable garbage collection (GC)for Objective-C objects. The resulting binary requires additional run-
time support which is not present in anyreleased version of MacOSX.
When the−fobjc−gcswitch is specified, the compiler will replace assignments to instance variables
(ivars) and to certain kinds of pointers to Objective-C object instances with calls to interceptor func-
tions provided by the runtime garbage collector. Two type qualifiers, __strongand__weak, also
become available. The__strongqualifier may be used to indicate that assignments to variables of
this type should generate aGCinterceptor call, e.g.:
__strong void *p; // assignments to ’p’ will have interceptor calls
int *q; // assignments to ’q’ ordinarly will not
(__strong int *)q = 0; // this assignment will call an interceptor
Conversely,the__weaktype qualifier may be used to suppress interceptor call generation:
__weak id q; // assignments to ’q’ will not have interceptor ca
id p; // assignments to ’p’ will have interceptor calls
(__weak id)p = 0; // suppress interceptor call for this assignment

[edit] ahh yes, not present in any version of osx yet...[/edit]