Requesting a Yes or No on uDG

I would like to know if uDG is going to happen this year, since normally it would be underway by now. I only ask because if it's not happening, then I'm going to devote my resources to other projects.

I'm more or less going to ignore replies to this topic unless it's Carlos, or a direct Carlos quote. Or something.

If it is happening...I can't wait! Smile

Oh, and please, no one feed me the quote from the other uDG topic about uDG '07 happening in June.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Since you are ignoring my reply, then you won't hear my reasons for believing that we'll get an announcement one way or the other in the next month, and quite possibly next week.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Could you by any chance let those of us who aren't ignoring all posts know? Wink
If you plan to ignore all posts from others, why post at all? Send Carlos a private message, and I am sure you will get the answer you are looking for. Not trying to annoy you or anything, though I am the owner an online community, and I would find it annoying to have members try to contact me by posting... since I do not read everything that is posted.

Other than that, I look forward to seeing what members work up this year, that is, if the contest is still on. Smile

~Achi
Achithyn Wrote:If you plan to ignore all posts from others, why post at all? Send Carlos a private message, and I am sure you will get the answer you are looking for. Not trying to annoy you or anything, though I am the owner an online community, and I would find it annoying to have members try to contact me by posting... since I do not read everything that is posted.
So that other people can also see the response. I would think that someone else besides myself would want to know.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Founder
Sorry to see this thread just now. As you can imagine, moving back to the US after 15+ years in Japan has kept me busy. I will return to the US on August 26th, and then it is unpacking, etc. My Mac will be shipped via Air, but I'm not sure what type of internet connection there is at my folks house.

Getting ready for uDevGames takes about 2 1/2 months which is mostly dealing with the sponsors. Since I've had no time to do that, and no one has thought to step up, uDevGames looks not to be happening. I'm thinking though when it does, I'll reduce the number of sponsors to reduce my workload.

Other thing on my mind is ADC/Apple. Apple's Games Manager is now with Microsoft, and he was our main supporter (for uDevGames). I heard they had 3 candidates in mind to replace Richard, but I have no idea if the person is now doing the job. I'm waiting to hear from someone.

On a positive note, our hired proofer has completed her job. So I'm hoping to sneak in some updating of the site between my packing.

Overall, everything is day by day. So it may be that I might say in mid Sept., let's do a shorten uDevGames.

Thanks for your support.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
'borrowing' the idea of refreshing past uDev/OMG entries. Why not do a shortened uDev that's a uDevGames Champion of Champions, with entries being restricted to uDev or OMG entries from past competitions updated and re-written by their original authors?

As every entry has already been finished (restrict entry to only those games that qualified for scoring) and are known to be at least playable, there should be less worry about prep time and with a lot of them being major known titles now, it should make the PR a bit easier
I think that would be a wonderful contest in the spring/summer, as people can polish up their uDev entries from the previous year, as during the contest most people are focusing on gameplay and getting it done within the time limit. It wouldn't be too bad as a replacement.

Alex
Oldtimer
That would be most awesome, and really really educational as to what polish really means.
I back this idea of bringing back half completed uDev entries from the past.

Hold on though, surely this kind of contest would prevent all those people who never had the time or skill in the past to enter and would just push the site as some kind of clique? Of course not - the previous entries source code is available so nothing to stop someone picking up an old entry, adding some tweaks, replacing the graphics and adding that polish (and of course credit for the original author). The advantage of updating something by somebody else is that it gives more real world experience of working on a project or dead man's code.
The idea is cool, but does not alleviate the prep time to get sponsors (which is the majority of the work for uDG prep I assume). So, perhaps this contest fall in line with a OMG-level contest, and not a uDG level contest?
Unfortunately, those of us who were looking forward to competing for the first time won't be able to enter. Regardless, I suppose it gives me time to finish my current project, which I plan to be the backbone for my future games. It just guarantees my ability to enter next year. Wink
akb825 Wrote:Unfortunately, those of us who were looking forward to competing for the first time won't be able to enter.

Did you not read my suggestion about doing further development on the open source code from a previous entry?
Carlos Camacho Wrote:Getting ready for uDevGames takes about 2 1/2 months which is mostly dealing with the sponsors. Since I've had no time to do that, and no one has thought to step up, uDevGames looks not to be happening. I'm thinking though when it does, I'll reduce the number of sponsors to reduce my workload.

What can people do to help out and step up to do this? Personally I was unaware that there was an issue and the need to step up. If a plea had been made then I'm sure some of us would have come forward to assist.
While the "polishing previous entries contest" idea sounds intriguing, I would imagine it to be a logistical nightmare. How do you judge something like that? Look at the original game in whatever state it was at the start of the contest, and compare to what comes out at the end? What about games that were already perfectly well polished at the end of the contest they were entered into? There's also the issue of code maintainability, which might give some participants a significant edge over others.

Regardless, I probably won't be able to enter anything this year anyway... I have two short-term projects that I'm not going to put on hold for anything, and another long-term project that I really need to devote some serious time to. By next year, though, I should be ready to go... Hopefully Carlos's life will have settled down and we can get back on track to have uDevGames the way we used to.