Transgaming "Cider" Windows Compatibility

Luminary
We knew it would happen, it's just taken a bit longer than expected...

http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?mod...ay&ceid=24
Quote this message in a reply
Quite frankly, I couldn't care less about a product that developers/publishers must use to give us PC games.

This doesn't help any of the thousands of indie/casual/free games that won't (can't afford to) use it, nor the thousands of old PC games that won't be updated. Not to mention the thousands of recent/upcoming games that won't use it just because if they cared at all about the Mac market they'd already be porting their games over.
⌘-R in Chief
I'm sure this approach already existed years ago, though. I read about a company that had a DirectX compatibility layer back in the day.
Luminary
AFAIK, MacDX still exists...

This isn't quite the same though -- this is WINE. There'll actually be a windows .exe hiding inside your Mac application bundle Smile

Also, due to WINE's license, it's likely that all the important bits of this will actually be open-source.
FreakSoftware Wrote:I'm sure this approach already existed years ago, though. I read about a company that had a DirectX compatibility layer back in the day.

I believe you are referring to MacDX. However, that required more developer interaction... recompilation, endian issues to be addressed, etc. Hardly ideal.

Cider is just WINE, and that can be used with the executable untouched.

What remains to be seen is if the Mac populace will be happy with a bunch of half-assed Windows by-products. Or will they expect them to be friendly, Mac applications?
Sage
KittyMac Wrote:Cider is just WINE.
Actually it's cedega, and from what my Linux friends tell me, it's a crappy branch of WINE that doesn't really work well with anything but games. It's not perfect either. (i.e. buggy and requires workarounds.)
KittyMac Wrote:What remains to be seen is if the Mac populace will be happy with a bunch of half-assed Windows by-products. Or will they expect them to be friendly, Mac applications?
When's the last time you played a game with a user friendly UI? Most games build their own simplistic GUI's with just enough functionality to get by.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I love the screenshots - that lone "cider" menu is the sign of a first class Mac app! Rolleyes

I've read mixed reviews for Cedega (basically the same thing for Linux) and I'm calling shenanigans on the "equivalent game play and performance" claim right now. They'll need more than a short FAQ to convince me that this is viable - a Cider'd version of 3Dmark might be a good start...
Skorche Wrote:When's the last time you played a game with a user friendly game?

[cough]http://www.freeverse.com/bbbg/[/cough]

Even disregarding that, just look at the comments when bootcamp came out. Many of the non-hardcore gamers said they would still prefer a proper Mac title. The question remains, will they get a proper Mac title with Cider?

As I said, I don't know, but I'm interested in seeing what happens.

Quote:I love the screenshots - that lone "cider" menu is the sign of a first class Mac app!

Don't worry, they were simply building from Apple's Official OpenGL Game Template. It's the wave of the future...
I don't see this as good. This means that companies, instead of putting the energy into a good mac app, just give us a half-assed version that MIGHT work (as far as I'm seeing)

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Nayr Wrote:I don't see this as good. This means that companies, instead of putting the energy into a good mac app, just give us a half-assed version that MIGHT work (as far as I'm seeing)

Similar things were said when the switch to Intel was announced. I'm not aware of native Mac versions of products being dropped because there is a Windows version. Okay it may be taking some companies time to get a Universal Binary out for their apps but they have not cancelled them.
More importantly, *if* it works well, it may give some of the PC games companies the option of releasing a Mac version without going through a 3rd party to port it which might be an attractive option.
KittyMac Wrote:Don't worry, they were simply building from Apple's Official OpenGL Game Template. It's the wave of the future...
LOL

This board needs at least 10 characters per post, but I got nothing else to say!
Andrew Sage Wrote:Similar things were said when the switch to Intel was announced. I'm not aware of native Mac versions of products being dropped because there is a Windows version. Okay it may be taking some companies time to get a Universal Binary out for their apps but they have not cancelled them.

yea, but this guarantees no work. Besides, how do you know that game companies were thinking about porting before they heard of bootcamp?

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
⌘-R in Chief
Quote:Our goal is to provide users a solution where they buy the game, go home, open the box, put the CD in their Mac, and install the game whether it be through a drag and copy or through an installer. Then they simply double-click and run the game. Really no different of a user experience than current Mac games.

Hmm... so the entirety of the Mac game user experience is the installation process? Possibly, for some games. However, how many traditional ports have we seen that don't include Mac specific documentation, or still say "Exit to Windows, Yes/No?", or still adhere to Windows standards instead of Mac standards (such as no Cmd+Q to quit)? How will Cider handle not letting the developer write to the current directory?

Again, maybe these things won't matter in how a Cider game sells. Who knows?

Quote: So we're probably looking at early October for that first stream of games to start hitting the market.

At least we won't have to wait long before finding out Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does Leopard break backwards compatibility with Tiger? mac_girl 4 3,721 Jan 22, 2008 04:36 AM
Last Post: Fenris