iMac: 17" or 20"?

I thought $1200 (edu discount, yay!) was a great price for the 17" iMac as they are, so I'd have no problems doing that. I'd be a bit bummed if I bought one today and they came out with an x64-capable machine next week for the same price, but like you said you pretty much always run that risk when buying computer hardware. It seems like they wouldn't bump other hardware so soon after WWDC because they could've announced it there, but stranger things have happened.

The thing is, if I wait too much longer, the point of buying it will have been half lost. We're trying to get me a new desktop so my wife can take my PB for school again. That lovely IB that we went through so much trouble to fix... she dropped it on a hardwood floor and its screen is rather more erratic than it was before Sad

Second question, which maybe should be on its own thread but sorta belongs here due to this falling under the "buy a mac, get a free nano" thing: Nano 2GB for free, or iPod 30GB for $90? Grin I'm sorta leaning on the latter at this point despite the extra non-rebate-covered cost, just because it'd be nice to be able to watch videos on the train. The nano is neat for its form factor but not *that* neat.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
The thing is that neither Merom nor Conroe are currently in good supply, so Apple can't say "shipping now", but rather "shipping in 4-8 weeks". That's why I think they'll wait -- plus it'll give them another great press moment "second generation Intel iMac and MBP, now 20+% faster and with better battery life"

Personally, I couldn't care less about video, but I do like the darn thing fitting in my pocket Wink
Oh, for a second there I thought you were talking about the MBPs fitting in your pocket. Grin "Is that a MacBook in your pocket, or..."

We're way overdue for a NeoNewton Smile

Are the Merom/Conroe chips going to support the EM64T/X64 stuff, or is that still only a thing of the Mac Pros? If the latter then I have no problems going ahead and buying one now anyway. 20% faster is cool and all, but it's not a deal breaker.

Luminary
All the Core 2 chips are 64-bit.
Ahh, nice. I found myself some comparison charts about the various features. My gut reaction was, oh man, I've gotta wait and get X64!! But I'm not sure it really matters in practical terms, especially for an iMac. The big thing that gets you is more RAM, and of course extra bits for specialized computational stuff, and so on... I could see things like video encoders taking advantage of it. I dunno if it's worth waiting for an indefinite amount of time though, especially with the current state of available 64-bit specific software.

Luminary
The big thing it gets you is a lot of extra speed -- turns out twice as many registers is a good thing; who'd'a thunk it.

Of course, getting that speed is reliant on having native 64-bit software available, which won't happen until Leopard at the earliest.
I'd forgotten about the extra registers. Yeah, what genius decided that the x86 never needed more than 8 registers... Wink

If the main thing it gets me is more speed then I can deal with that. I might end up kicking myself if they come out with them in 2 weeks, but like you said it's probably more like 4-6 weeks. If I wait that long I'll lose the free iPod and half the point of getting another machine to free up my PB for my wife.

Thanks for the tips. You guys can feel free to fling "I told you so"s when Steve pulls a last minute "one more thing" on Friday... Grin

Well, I got it.. I'm posting from it now. Smile It's blazingly fast compared to my G4 12" PB. The screen is pretty nice too, though I'm not a fan of "wide screen" (I'd rather just have a nice square screen with this width.)

It's not been terrifyingly stable though. Sad For example if I start up the latest Google Earth 4 version, universal binary, it starts initializing and then promptly locks up the display server (minus the mouse moving around). I have to SSH in from another machine and reboot to get back control. Did that twice in a row.

Also everything WebKit-based was crashing for a while until I removed the fonts from my local font dir. Haven't had the patience to go figure out which ones were causing it.

When I first got it I also had a nice freeze-up with the iSight cam. Something activated it (Skype I think?) and the whole machine was promptly hard-locked, including the mouse.

I sure hope these are early software revision hiccups...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  21.5 iMac GeForce 9400 - Refresh Rate SethWillits 3 5,425 Feb 24, 2011 02:26 PM
Last Post: SethWillits