iMac: 17" or 20"?

Well, I might finally have the opportunity to pick up a new InteliMac in the near future. I think I decided on that vs a MacBook because I could use the extra power and screen space a lot more than I can use the portability these days.

Question for you guys though, what do you think is a better move, the 17" or 20"? The extra horsepower seems pretty negligible. It seems like the big difference is the screen size. But for $400 it also seems like I could just go buy myself a nice 19-20" LCD panel and have that much more screen space Smile

Anyone had any particular bad experiences with either one vs the other?

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I have the 17", 'cos I thought it was the better value for money. I agree that the extra 200MHz probably isn't worth it, and the Intel iMac can use a second monitor, so if real estate is all you're after, the Mini DVI -> DVI adapter and an extra screen might be a better plan.

The thing that might have tempted me in the other direction is the ability to BTO 256MB of VRAM in the 20". That'd give slightly better future-proofing for games. (Un?)fortunately, BTO isn't available in this country, so I was saved from having to make that decision Smile

I'd definitely not be buying an iMac before WWDC, btw -- there's a reasonable chance that they'll be upgraded then, or shortly after, now that Intel has much better chips available for them.
I got a 17" iMac recently - it's quite nice. No need for anything bigger, imho.

But if you have the cash, get the 20". Just don't go over your budget for it.
⌘-R in Chief
Having used a 20" monitor for so long, I couldn't use anything less, but you don't really need anything more. Only if you have extra money lying around in burlap sacks. So in my opinion, you'll absolutely love the 20", and if you can afford an extra $400, it's totally worth it to me. I do agree with Keith though; Right now isn't a good time to buy one as they've been around for 8 months, and that's at the end (past it actually) for an iMac refresh based on the last several revisions.
Get the 20". The 17" screen is pretty bad. IMO anyway. Look at it at anything else than straight on and you get color distortion. On the 20" screen the colors look the same pretty much from any angle.

KenD

CodeBlender Software - http://www.codeblender.com
I agree with everyone, wait till WWDC before you make any buying decisions. I've already made up my mind to buy the next version of the 20" iMac, for that is what I currently have. I bought mine last October (10/31/2006), and within about three months, they released another... twice as fast... same price... ><

Anyway, I love my iMac. Smile It would be great if it was a bit faster, though it still rocks my socks. Rasp Before I got the 20 inch, the 17 inch was great... though once you have been spoiled, there is no going back. So, it is your decision in the end - do as you wish. Smile

~Achi
I would just grab the 17", and stick another monitor next to it. Voila, you've got two and a pretty fast computer.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
⌘-R in Chief
Two monitors isn't the same as one big one though.
I spent the extra money and bought a 20" one, and I would not want to miss it. That was before Apple allowed real use of a second monitor, though (I'm not fond of hacks). Of course, buying Apple products less than a week before a keynote is never a good idea.
I'd wait-(I had forgotten about the keynote)-maybe you could get a core 2 duo!!!Love Grin Love Grin Love

Yeah, I'm with you guys on the waiting. I probably won't have the money before WWDC anyway.

I also agree that a 20" != 2 17" displays. If you primarily need to work on one thing, the 20" would be nicer because you'd get a better viewing area for it. But software for partitioning a single display still seems crappy. OSX is still not very good at managing a huge screen area IMO. E.g. let's say I want to put a maximized Xcode on the main display and a maximized help viewer on the other display. I get a bit obsessive compulsive about these things, so on the one big display I'd have to sit there adjusting it until all the desktop pixels were gone. Grin And then it's distracting to have it sitting there.

I dunno, I'll have to think about it, but I'm leaning towards the 17" despite the sexiness of the 20". Definitely wait until after WWDC... who knows, maybe they'll even release Leopard Wink

So... no new iMacs and no Leopard release. Annoyed Do you guys think it's safe to proceed with getting an iMac now, or has Apple been known to push these things back to a week after WWDC quietly before? Smile (something tells me yes and no, respectively)

get the 16,000 dollar mac pro. Then give it to me. I have a nice mini to compensate you Grin

Dear Sir, I am writing respectflly to you about my Inheritance. One Prince Abu Jabad bequeathed to me One (1) Mac Pro $16K. I need your assistance to obtain this fine computer. For your troubles you will be compensated One (1) Mac Mini.

Grin

Luminary
Now it's hard to say, really... personally, I'd still expect to see the iMac bumped to Merom or Conroe in the near future... maybe a month or two. But, you've always got to balance whether you'd rather have a new computer now, knowing that they're likely to introduce a new one two weeks later, or wait an unknown amount of time to get the latest & greatest model...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  21.5 iMac GeForce 9400 - Refresh Rate SethWillits 3 5,382 Feb 24, 2011 02:26 PM
Last Post: SethWillits