Master Game Servers Services

⌘-R in Chief
Anyone know why GameSpy is such a behemoth in the market? What does it do that makes it able to charge so much money for its code?
Quote this message in a reply
It was basically first on the block and was adopted early on by some big developers. It gained a lot of exposure and users since the same company ran (and runs) crap loads of popular game servers/portal sites. Now that IGN is in charge they've got even more clout and money to push it further. Here's the developer site if you want to know what it does: http://www.gamespy.net/ I can't remark on the pricing but obviously some of the big boys think it's worth while.
⌘-R in Chief
I wrote a simple master server app and a C++ client library in less than 10 hours. Obviously it's not on the same caliber of GameSpy, but from what I've seen of the public side of GameSpy's services, it wouldn't be that difficult at all to replicate it... which makes me wonder if there's any reason I should go at this full steam ahead and create an entire solution for small-medium developers.
Hasn't that been done?

http://www.gameranger.com/

What would you bring more than these guys?

-Jon
Does GameRanger have a client SDK? Personally, I never liked GameRanger much except for with games that don't have some sort of tracking feature.
⌘-R in Chief
That's what I'm trying to find out! @ Jon.
⌘-R in Chief
MacFiend Wrote:Does GameRanger have a client SDK?

It has to have a client SDK.... how could it not?

Anyway,
a) isn't GameRanger Mac-only?
b) a friend of mine bought some game with GR for multiplayer and could never get to work. I tried as well. I've always had a negative outlook on it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sprite Master bateristt 4 4,886 Jan 23, 2012 01:13 PM
Last Post: bateristt
  Network Servers - whose connected to me? Zenith 3 4,788 Oct 2, 2003 04:29 PM
Last Post: Steven