Yes, I Want To Create A MMORPG

Syemon
Unregistered

Hello, Im new here, and I see you are all pro's, Im really making this thread because my lack of use of the search button, and that I have a question, so I will go a head and ask it in here.

So... First off, I am wondering what program is best to design a MMORPG(When you tell em them, tell me which one need more programming ect.)?

Second, I have been working with Flash MX, making games, and little short flicks and what not, umm, does the programming of Flash and MMORPG's similar? Because it takes a while to get Flash MX actionscript done, and remembering a lot of that random code is even harder. Do I use the same type of actionscript in flash in MMORPG's, or do I have to go study new code on the web?

Last off, I wanted to ask one more question, but I seemed to forget itRasp
So I ask you this instead... Could you also give me link to tutorals using the programs you are sending me links too, if you have any... its not a need, I will find my way around the web to gather that infomation myself.

Thank you
Quote this message in a reply
Oldtimer
Stickied:
So, you want to create an MMORPG?
http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9560
Oldtimer
Oh, and welcome to the community, by the way. Smile While an MMORPG is out of your league for now, please stick around and we'll help you work your way up.
Start from the beginning, learn to code, get a feel for it. You don't want to attempt an MMORPG for a long time. Try out Blitzmax (http://www.blitzmax.com), a variation on Basic that is cross-platform and designed for games. Go through some tutorials (http://www.2dgamecreators.com/tutorials/...ndex.html). Noone starts at the top.

Alex
Syemon
Unregistered

So your saying, all those years of Flash MX mean nothing when it comes to MMORPG Rasp blah... I better get started, thanks fr the links.
Oldtimer
I'm afraid so, pretty much. Of course, you do have the experience do write code, which is a huge leg-up.

I noticed you're on the Windows side of the fence (this is a Mac community) but if you tell us more about your experience and skills, I'm sure we can push you in the right direction. Smile What have you done in Flash before? Previous experience with coding? Asset creation/pipelining? Networked Flash?
Sage
Quote:So your saying, all those years of Flash MX mean nothing when it comes to MMORPG
No, I spent a lot of time using flash/actionscript before doing any kind of "real" programming (text editor and compiler). I think its a good idea to move on too learn some other types of programming, but of course flash can be the right tool at times.
If you are wanting to make a MMORPG then you will need to be using a high performance language like C or C++, so you might want to start learning a programming language of that style such as Java, instead of a basic derivitive.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Syemon
Unregistered

Could one of you, or some of you please send me links to some books I should look out for to learn the new types of code I need for an MMORPG.

Also, I'd like to addm I will be getting an MAC soon, because it is best for Art programs, and these types of programs(Sorry don't have the word for it in my head) is it not...

Thank youRasp
Quote:Yes, I Want To Create A MMORPG

Isn't it wierd that so many threads start like this? I mean, with all the great games out there, why do people want to do a MMORPG? why not a FPS? A shoot'em'up? A beat'em'up? a platform? a puzzle game? or just a RPG?

But no, it's always a MMORPG...

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Apprentice
Syemon Wrote:So your saying, all those years of Flash MX mean nothing when it comes to MMORPG Rasp blah... I better get started, thanks fr the links.
Coming from a designer/artist who has used action script in the past...a game made in flash is comparable to a grain of sand, where an MMORPG is a 6 mile stretch of beach. For one man at least.

The smaller you start, the better. Better you have something small that you grow over time then biting off way too much in the beginning. Smile
Unless you want to make a text-only MMORPG, aka a MUD. Smile Those are still a lot of work, but not nearly as much as a full on graphical one.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
Apprentice
Dan Potter Wrote:Unless you want to make a text-only MMORPG, aka a MUD.
Yo l want to make one(MUD) but haven't had any experience except applescript where l wrote a few applications but thats not that difficult
so can anyone here point me in the direction of a good place to strat making a MUD?
thats free!! l'm 14 and don't got much money to spend on a hobbie
-killsquad92-
Syemon
Unregistered

Najdorf Wrote:Isn't it wierd that so many threads start like this? I mean, with all the great games out there, why do people want to do a MMORPG? why not a FPS? A shoot'em'up? A beat'em'up? a platform? a puzzle game? or just a RPG?

But no, it's always a MMORPG...

Yes of course, It's an goal hundreds upon thousands want to achieve. Puzzles and FPS's are good and all, but MMORPG's take the top. Make a great FPS game like Gunz Online, wow, people love it. Then make a game like Anarchy Online, people will spend there wholes lives playing it. I want to make an MMORPG because I love those games(First Person MMO's are better Rasp ). If someone ever complete's one, you will be making a lot of money, and fans of the game, even if it's bad graphics, it's mainly for the gameplay.... Anyways, one player games suckCool And if I wanted to make those, I wouldn't stop doing Flash.
Sage
killsquad92 Wrote:so can anyone here point me in the direction of a good place to strat making a MUD?
I would try writing a text based adventure (you can that in applescript if you like). Then you would want to learn the basics of some language that has adequate networking capabilities, like C.
If you do choose C then the best place you could go to start learning networking that I know of is http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/htmlsingle/bgnet.html .

Syemon Wrote:Yes of course, It's an goal hundreds upon thousands want to achieve
Yet if they all worked together they probably still couldn't do it.

Syemon Wrote:Anyways, one player games suck
No, they dont.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
I'm not going to say anything about creating an MMORPG, since everything has already been said. However, I will elaborate on why single player games don't suck. If you have an arcade game etc. that's single player but really should be multiplayer due to the gameplay, that sucks. However, some single player games really are meant to be single player by the gameplay. Also, a single player game with its player restrictions allow it to have a story line: the one thing MMORPGs generally lack. (there are quests, but nothing like the story of a single player game; you can't save the world over and over from the same threat with the changes to the world that would happen along the way) Try picking up a few good RPGs, then make your decision.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to create a TEXT based MMORPG FreDD 9 17,562 Jan 24, 2007 06:12 PM
Last Post: azoundria