A few questions from an artist.

Apprentice
I've made a few posts on here in regards to a project i am working on, and i figure this might be a good place to drop off a chunk of things i have been wondering about how to handle graphics in various situations. I just want to add that i am in no way shape or form mentally able to handle programming myself, so all of this comes from strictly an artist's perspective. Blush

All of these are in regards to a 2D game.

1) If a graphic exists in multiple sizes, should multiple versions be used at the various sizes, or can the programming handle coding the resizing on the fly? In this case, some images will zoom in and out, and others exist in a few sizes for extended periods of the game.

2) For a game to exist in multiple resolutions, do a few versions of graphics need to be made, or again, is this handled by code?

3) When it comes to 2D animation, what is a good format to save to? Or at least, will look the best and be the easiest to work with?

And lastly

4) When dealing with transparency, is a transparent dummy color needed (like that neon green) or can it be left as actual transparency?

I plan on finishing all the art completely before seeking a programmer to aid me with making it from a cluster of pictures into a game, but if i can make the process faster when i do approach one, i would like to do so. But yes, thanks in advance! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Assuming that your programmer will be using OpenGL,

1) you should make a single, large size that can be scaled down by OpenGL
2) ditto
3) a sequence of PNG files, probably
4) use a full alpha channel
Apprentice
Aha, that does make my life easier. I initially did everything 400% bigger then needed, so i guess i can simply give him those sizes, or should i scale down some before?
I've found it nice to keep things high resolution until the final stages of making the game at which you optimize for size if needed. So, I'd keep 'em as-is.

-Jon
Luminary
The bigger the better. High quality down-scaling is easy; upscaling is always ugly.
*One* exception to the rule: pixel art. If the game is not using anti-aliased graphics, then the art should be originally made for the target size, because scaling it straight down will probably make an ugly, ghostly mask. There are many many ways to get around it, though, so that's about the only time it pays to design at the final output size.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Apprentice
Good to hear. In this case, its not pixel art. Smile

Well thanks everyone, i'm sure i'll have more questions as my work progresses, but this tides me over at the moment. Smile