"21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Results

Founder
1st: Stephen Johnson & Kemal Zhang
Artack
8, 7, 6 = 21 total
Comment: This game reminded me of its original the most. The idea to use hand-drawn graphics is great. I'd like to see a "game pack" of classics using this approach. With this style of graphics/design, there are many polish elements that could be added in the future as well.

2nd: Alex Diener
Miner 2049er
7, 8, 5 = 20 total
Comment: This game, while reminding me of 2049er used a nice original design (original to me), and for that, I give it kudos. I love platform games that don't require me to scroll at mad speeds (e.g. Sonic). I could see Alex turning this into a 3D game for uDevGames.

3rd: Joseph Duchesne
StarKnight
6, 8, 5 = 19 total
Comment: StarKnight had some nice polish, and I give credit for the in-game tutorials. It also had that "old-school" look which I like. However, I felt the entry was simply a game, and didn't use enough elements from one particular game in my list.

John Carlyle, Insection = 11 total
Comment: On the downside, this game felt incomplete. On the upside, I think the idea of bugs/mosquitos very good. The "backyard" has tons of possible enemies for a Joust-based game. Some elements that were missing though were "eggs" and platforms, and the lava. I think "water" could have replaced the lava, and perhaps a fish to replace the hand. I hope someone picks up on the idea from this game an introduces more bugs!

Jennifer Czeck, MoonRider = 6 total
Comment: I use to love Moon Rover so I was very eager to play this game. I know Jonathan Czeck has/is working on such games for some time, so I expected some simple side-scroller. So I admit the text approach caught me off guard.

I'd like to thank all the developers who entered, and I hope you all gained something from participating in this mini-contest. I will contact the sponsor about the prizes, so check your emails (directed at the winners). The special prize will be handed to Joseph Duchesne (please send me your shipping address). I feel Joseph, as a young developer has shown a grear deal of maturity in our community, and has continues to progress as a developer. I hope with some 3D models, he can start to explore 3D-based games in the near future (time to buy Unity?)

Regards,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Woot! Congrats to everyone that entered. Finishing the game is always the hardest part. Smile

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
I had trouble maintaining interest in my project idea to make it any good Rolleyes.

The machine does not run without the coin.
Nice job! I also lost interest in my project.

Alex
Nibbie
As a matter of fact, I have a 3D engine that I'm working on (C++/OpenGL) and, not being much of a modeler (I'm more of a 2D guy when it comes to graphics), perhaps with some models I can turn the engine into a game when the uDG comes around Smile. Thanks!
And Congrats Steven, I knew you would win the first time I played your game Smile The art style is unique and well executed.
Now I just have to play Alex's game. Unfortunately, I haven't played anybody's game but Stevens (yet). Ninja Too busy coding Rasp
I had fun with this one. I initially wasn't going to enter, but it kind of snuck up on me. The fact that this was a remake meant that I already had gameplay pretty much laid out for me, so I was able to spend significantly more time than usual on graphics, audio, and polish. The result is a game that I'm quite happy to add to my portfolio. I now have two game projects (Gamut being the other one) which are very near completion, and I should be able to release both of them after just a bit more work. I feel like both are approaching the polish level I'd need if I wanted to try releasing shareware... A goal I've been working toward for quite a while now.

Also, congratulations to the other finishing entrants!
Well done Stephen, nice game and love the art work. However I did just find a bug in the game but I see no thread for the game so sorry for posting it here.

If you continue to hold down the shield button until it runs out then the shields stay on until you let go - even across levels.

Edit: I do like Moon Rider. I'm pleased that finally someone has done a text based game on this site.

Another Edit: Just played memset and it is my favourite - very 8-bit indeed. It makes me want to dig out a Spectrum emulator and play Chuckie Egg.
Apprentice
Andrew Sage Wrote:I do like Moon Rider. I'm pleased that finally someone has done a text based game on this site.
Thanks, that makes me feel loved.
I feel Jenn should get a consolation prize for being extremely silly. Let's all chip in and get her some bacon.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:I feel Jenn should get a consolation prize for being extremely silly.

What was silly about it? Carlos asked for retro and you cannot get much more retro than text games (waits for someone to announce PunchCard 06 contest). Although I do feel the entry should have contained a warning about the application icon Wink
All the games are definitely a good deal of fun! By the way, the ASCII art of David Hasselhoff is priceless!

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Andrew Sage Wrote:What was silly about it? Carlos asked for retro and you cannot get much more retro than text games (waits for someone to announce PunchCard 06 contest).

OK. So when do we start the Oscilloscope Pong contest? Rasp

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  uDG08 Voting Results and Methods AnotherJake 111 46,074 Mar 20, 2009 05:15 PM
Last Post: pinguoren
  3DU: 3D Game Development Contest - Results Carlos Camacho 2 12,630 Jan 8, 2007 01:47 AM
Last Post: Najdorf
  "21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Entries Carlos Camacho 5 6,822 Jun 30, 2006 07:40 PM
Last Post: LaRue
  Carlosvision - question about source code stevejohnson 3 4,440 Jun 28, 2006 10:40 PM
Last Post: nich
  carlosvision logo Najdorf 71 25,133 Jun 20, 2006 07:16 PM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie