Carbon C/ Cocoa API Questions

Stalin55
Unregistered

I have an old isometric rpg engine written entriely in Carbon C using CodeWarrior and I want to use it to make a game. My understanding is that CodeWarrior is not able to create Universal Binaries and therefore I should use xcode.

My first question is if I create a carbon application in xcode will that be compilable as a universal binary? And second I was wondering how much of my code (specifically quicktime calls like CopyBits() and calls dealing with GWorlds) will still work.

-Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
http://developer.apple.com/transition/index.html

Basically, anywhere where you haven't assumed that the machine is big-endian, done an integer division by zero, or one of a couple of other things that Intel processors do differently to PowerPC ones, you'll just be fine.

All of QuickDraw is deprecated, and you'll get lots of warnings about that, but it does all still work.
Stalin55
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:http://developer.apple.com/transition/index.html

Basically, anywhere where you haven't assumed that the machine is big-endian, done an integer division by zero, or one of a couple of other things that Intel processors do differently to PowerPC ones, you'll just be fine.

All of QuickDraw is deprecated, and you'll get lots of warnings about that, but it does all still work.

First of all, what exactly does "deprecated" mean? And second of all, is there any reaons why QuickDraw routines wouldn't work on future operating systems?
Luminary
"Deprecated" means "you should not use them in new code, and they may go away in the future". The reason that QuickDraw is deprecated is that it doesn't play nicely with the resolution-independent UI stuff that was introduced in 10.4. The chance of it going away is quite slim, given how many people still rely on it, but if Apple decided to make Mac OS 11 suddenly, they might well remove all currently deprecated functions Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cocoa or Carbon? Leroy 5 3,758 May 17, 2007 06:54 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Newbie question: Cocoa and Carbon - which for what and how to get started? BliTz 3 3,231 Jul 27, 2006 10:07 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Noob Cocoa and Carbon Questions MonitorFlickers 15 6,260 Feb 23, 2006 06:01 PM
Last Post: Tesselate
  Carbon or Cocoa for Games Nick 26 13,552 Mar 11, 2005 12:59 PM
Last Post: Duane
  Carbon and Cocoa together.... Muffinking 1 2,637 Aug 4, 2003 12:11 AM
Last Post: KenD