Just getting started.

DaWizard
Unregistered

Hi, my name is Jorge Velez and I'm very interested in game design. I really want to make sports titles for the Xbo360 and the upcoming Playstation 3 since they are the next level of gaming. I'm fixed on sports because I love sports and when playing sports games I'm always hearing people say "that wouldn't happen in real life". I find myself disappointed in gameplay sometimes too ( NBA Live 06 for the 360 ) so I'm out to do what development teams still haven't been able to do and thats bring the action and REALism of real life sports to your livingroom. The titles today are so into the graphics that they've taken away the most important thing about gaming, the gameplay. Nobody ever says, "lets go watch videogames" so why make games that are just good to look at? Anyway, my question is, what are good software suggestions for sports titles from character design and animation, enviorment design to programming? I would surely appreciate the advice if anyone could help. Thank you
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
PS3 comes with linux on it apparently, so you probably will be able to write games on it.

Networking & Multiplayer?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Forget console development for now, and learn how to make simple text games, to then go on to 2d games, to then go on to 3d games. It's at the point where you've made a few games, are in a company, and know OpenGL/Direct X that Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft will consider letting you become a licensed developer - which costs money. And then to make licensed games, which will cost more.
It is likely, by then, that the successsors of the consoles would be out by then, or at the very least - at the end of their cycle.
Joachim Ante
Unregistered

It's rather hard to make a console title if you are not an established game developer. And it will cost you a lot of money to even get access to the developer kit.

But i think you should get started trying to make your sports title, and try to get it done and published on mac os x and windows.

The best tool for the job is of course Unity - http://www.unity3d.com

With Unity you can get a prototype going very quickly. You can import art from all major art packages. And it generally solves a lot of hard problems for you out of the box, letting you focus on the actual game.

Then you can publish to mac os x and windows with the click of a button.

For making the artwork Maya, Cinema 4D are good tools. I'd try to hook up with some people instead of trying on your own. Making a game is actually not that easy, so if you are in a group you can do it better. I am sure you can find some good and talented people here or on the unity forums http://www.unity3d.com/forum

Good luck in making your game. There are too few sports titles on the mac me thinks.
I don't know if anyone else has heard of it, but I heard of a console that is coming out that is written entirely in Linux. Aparrently they are planning on giving away the development software for free, but if you make any money off of your game (or whatever you make), then they get royalties. I can't remember the name of it, but it sounds pretty cool, and apparently it's going to be cheaper than the XBox-360 also Smile
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Sage
Heh, you're probably thinking of the Phantom. It's been considered vaporware for a while now.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
ya, that might of been it...too bad they stopped developing it Sad
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
While we're off-topic: if you want a Linux-powered console and don't mind if it is a handheld, check out the GP2X - it seems a very nice system, and uses SDL as its games API, although I believe it only has a single commercially released game for it at the moment...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
sealfin Wrote:While we're off-topic: if you want a Linux-powered console and don't mind if it is a handheld, check out the GP2X - it seems a very nice system, and uses SDL as its games API, although I believe it only has a single commercially released game for it at the moment...

Or the PSP for a handheld. You can develop for it on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. It uses PSPGL (a version of OpenGL), GU (The PSP own graphic library very similar to OpenGL, and much more complete then PSPGL), or SDL (though it can become slow as it's software based, not hardware)... Also the Irrlicht Engine was ported to the PSP by LTE Studios (http://www.ltestudios.com).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Getting Started in Mac Game Dev XxtraLarGe 12 6,117 Jan 8, 2004 09:14 AM
Last Post: XxtraLarGe