normal maps, DUDV maps, GLSL & too few texture units

Sage
Cry
When do I get a good enough computer to play about with FBO's GLSL and stuff

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Hey, my 12" PowerBook is *barely* a good computer. 1.3ghz g4, and a Gf 5200 Fx GO, the laughingstock of the industry.

I bought mine new for US $1600, you can probably get one second hand for less than a thousand.

I want a macbook pro so hard my teeth hurt.
Sage
[Image: mymac8lv.png]

TommorowPlusX Wrote:I want a macbook pro so hard my teeth hurt
Me too!

Sage
unknown Wrote:[Image: mymac8lv.png]

Me too!

For the love of god, buy some more ram!
BTW, where did you get/how did you make the normal map? That has been my biggest concern so far. The specular reflection looks awesome, as does the distortion of the reflected and refracted scenes. Smile
Sage
My current normalmap is taken directly from the executable for the water demo -- fortunately, Stuffit can unpack windows self-extracting executables.

I'm going to make my own, however, the same way I made my water texture. ( http://idevgames.com/forum/showthread.ph...627&page=4 )
Sage
I suppose the usual way to make normal maps is to create a height map and render it orthographically with three different light sources for each color channel.

Bah, there is no suitable filter in GIMP. And I'm too cheap to buy PS and too honest to steal it. Rasp
Sage
do it with OpenGL, or write a GIMP plugin?

Sage
I use the really crappy app "Normal Map Generator". http://homepage.mac.com/nilomarabese/Menu13.html

It's good in the sense that *yes* it works. It's crappy in that it only accepts and saves TIFFs, the gui makes it nearly impossible to select a POT output resolution, and so on. I might just write my own.

I just made a better normalmap this way and the water looks *so* much better. It's all about a good normalmap.
Yeah, I have that too. I was thinking just saving everything in a large resolution and scaling it down as necessary, since it's damn near impossible to get a power of 2 size with it. Of course, I first have to find a way to get even a height map for a descent water texture. *checks GIMP again*
Sage
akb825 Wrote:Yeah, I have that too. I was thinking just saving everything in a large resolution and scaling it down as necessary, since it's damn near impossible to get a power of 2 size with it. Of course, I first have to find a way to get even a height map for a descent water texture. *checks GIMP again*

What I do is this ( in photoshop, but GIMP might have rough equivalents ):

1) Run a perlin noise generator ( Filters->Render->Clouds )
2) Run the water ripples function on this ( Filters->Distort->Ocean Ripples... )
3) Duplicate the layer, invert it, set blending to 50% -- this will cause the layer to cancel the layer below, so you have solid grey.
4) Run a mild gaussian blur on the layer -- this essentially gives you a low-pass filter.
5) Offset ( with wrapping ) the image by half it's size in x & y, then use clone-stamp or some other technique to ensure the texture tiles.
6) Swizzle its levels to get a nice mapping from black to white
7) Run it through a heightmap-to-normal map app.
8) Optionally, run another gaussian blur on it to smooth out the rough artifacts the normal map app might have brought in.
I don't know if the ripple that I have is the same as your ocean ripple, but it looks pretty good. Thanks! Smile
There is a gimp plugin somewhere, just you have to recompile gimp...

I'll post a link when I find it. Alternatively, I'll post the source to the plug in, if I find it on my hard drive.. Rasp
Just out of curiosity, how does this image work as the normal map? (I'm assuming you could just do a drop-in replacement of your current normal map) In case your interested, here's the heightmap in case the normal map is too strong or weak) I can also do something similar to this for a normal map for heat distortions. Smile

For the plugin, I tried to compile GTK to compile some plugins, but it required too many dependencies, one of which I believe was essentially GNOME. I just gave up, but have been able to do without.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Normal Mapping Precision on iOS OptimisticMonkey 6 24,166 Apr 13, 2011 11:35 PM
Last Post: OptimisticMonkey
  Getting the Normal for a polygon. Jaden 3 5,864 May 1, 2009 01:47 PM
Last Post: Nosredna
  Vector (Normal) Map blending operations? kelvin 10 6,770 Mar 16, 2007 04:31 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  drawing or displaying vertex normal shru_ani 3 3,653 Oct 29, 2006 06:04 AM
Last Post: shru_ani
  Gouraud vs Normal maps for dinamic terrains sohta 6 4,107 Oct 11, 2006 12:55 AM
Last Post: sohta