problems getting the depth buffer

I've been trying to grab the depth buffer, but have had some problems. Whenever I try to grab it, it shows up as pure white, but I know the depth buffer is working since the scene renders without problems. Lately, it's even frozen: not just the app, but the entire computer! This even happens on both my PowerMac and my MacBook Pro! (talk about making it difficult to debug :/) Anyways, I was hoping you guys might be able to catch where I go wrong.

I use texture rectangles, and I this is what I use for the allocation and parameters of the texture.
Code:
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, depthTexture);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, GL_DEPTH_TEXTURE_MODE, GL_INTENSITY);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT16, width, height, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT, NULL);

This is the code that I use to grab it.
Code:
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, depthTexture);
glCopyTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, width, height);

I think it started to freeze when I used glCopyTexSubImage as opposed to glCopyTexImage. I'll test that, but I'll do so after I press post so I don't loose what I've written so far if it is the case. Wink I also tried setting my viewable area to 512x512 and using GL_TEXTURE_2D rather than GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, and there was no difference.

For the record, I also tried FBOs, and the depth texture still showed up as all white. However, I've been moving away from FBOs since I learned you can't have higher than a 16 bit depth buffer, which was certainly noticeable, even when I moved the far plane forward. (I still use them when I don't need the depth buffer, though; fortunately the performance hit so far has been minimal) Any suggestions would be appreciated. I suppose if it turns out to always have problems I can always create my own depth buffer with a pixel shader, but I would prefer not to since it would require another pass.

Edit: yup, the problem with the freezing was indeed using glCopySubImage. Here is my new line for the copying:
Code:
glCopyTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, 0, 0, width, height, 0);
Still has the problem.
Quote this message in a reply
Alright, I think I figured out the problem: it turns out that I just had my near plane too close. When I went really close, it showed up correctly, so I changed it from 0.1 to 1. It now shows up correctly from a sane distance. I would have liked it to be a little closer, but it shouldn't provide any problem. Unfortunately, when the depth buffer is 16 bits (such as with FBOs) it still has some problems. (when I was still trying to be able to use FBOs, I tried it, and it still had errors Annoyed)
Sage
The GLUT examples has a program (decal) that shows one way to do this.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Thanks, but I fixed it. Rasp The problem was the near plane being too close, causing it to show all white.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Depth Buffer Question AnotherJake 10 4,588 Sep 23, 2008 01:43 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Drawing to the Depth Buffer unknown 12 4,200 Dec 9, 2005 02:49 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Depth Buffer / Testing basic question... WhatMeWorry 5 6,312 Nov 18, 2005 12:50 AM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Reading from the Depth Buffer Joseph Duchesne 2 3,014 Jun 16, 2005 04:51 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Depth Buffer issues. NitroPye 7 4,090 May 30, 2005 01:11 PM
Last Post: NitroPye