Next big thing in FPS?

Apprentice
Instead of focusing on FPSs we should help bringing back adventure games with all new kinds of audio- and physics-based puzzles et cetera, which don't involve point and click-gameplay and obscure pixel hunts Wink
Quote this message in a reply
Baldock Wrote:But why not in 20 years time have 6 ro 9 projectors projecting the entire world and you stand in the middle with laser movement scanners scanning your actions and placement in a movenment zone. ie centre of zone no movement, step to the left to start side stepping. I think I saw someplace the 3 screen video card which came with software which allowed some of the fps to display your side vision on those screens so you as the player got a true 90o angle of view
this would almost feel like work... having to move and shoot on my own...

However, I must say I'm a HUGE fan of the Time Crisis genre. Where the movement is mostly done for you, and you must do the shooting. Only trouble with this is the home market, it's almost unfeasible without the proper hardware. On a side note, Time Crisis has some of the best guns on any gun shooter game I've seen.

I would also like to see more development on the arcade side. Sadly, the arcade business hasn't been thriving like its console counterpart. They had a quakelike 4 machine hookup in arcades not too long ago... I blew like $3 on it one day... it was WAY fun.

Also, a step back into third person, Holography. Hasn't been tapped since the early 90s in video games. I think it would bring a whole new level to gaming if you could actually visualize your enviroment that way. We have the processing power.
Rincewind Wrote:Instead of focusing on FPSs we should help bringing back adventure games with all new kinds of audio- and physics-based puzzles et cetera, which don't involve point and click-gameplay and obscure pixel hunts Wink
This would be ignoring the original poster's query and intent. He is (to the best of my knowledge) trying to find out what lies beyond "we've hit maximum realism on a 2D screen, what do I do next to enhance my game"
I think we'll see a move into more character-based games, and we'll see The Popular Shooter shift more towards third person. Also, with squad-based FPS games becoming saturated, computing power getting ever greater, and graphics apparently hitting a plateau, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone attempt full-blown war FPS, where the player is one soldier out of hundreds fighting hundreds of enemies at the same time.

What I'd LIKE to see is more stylized gameplay. There's been one iterative innovation so far after another, but I'd like to see someone rip the genre down to its foundation and build it back up in a totally fresh way.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
skyhawk Wrote:He is (to the best of my knowledge) trying to find out what lies beyond "we've hit maximum realism on a 2D screen, what do I do next to enhance my game"
True, my main interest is in FPS, but a thread on the "what's next" subject in most other genres have kinda obvious answers.
Sports: better, more emersive controls.
Adventure/ Puzzle: exciting new puzzles.
Fighting: new controls, non-cookie cutter moves/combos.
RPG/MMORPG: Bigger, new stories, more freedom/choices.
the only other really mysterious genre is racing games.
Jones
Unregistered

A more diverse genre, packed into one.

For example, a shooter with puzzles in it. Elite Force II was like that, with little games where you had to match up circuits so as to avoid fused wiring, and fix parts of stuff, or games where you had to match wave frequencies with your tricorder. Good fun, good fun.

But I don't really care what's in a shooter. I can play a perfectly horrible fps with little story, mediocre graphics and other bard aspects, and enjoy simply because of the challenge. And it keeps me buying too, I always need a new challenge, so in a way, I help fuel the economy. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Development Diagram Language Thing-a-ma-jig Jmcclane 14 14,012 May 8, 2011 11:11 AM
Last Post: bgulanowski
  Is there such a thing? ShadowDragon 3 3,897 Nov 18, 2006 02:55 AM
Last Post: ShadowDragon