Learning C with Xcode (book suggestions)

Greetings all,
Over the years I have enjoyed programming on and off. I have played with several programming languages, though usually not long enough to really do anything interesting. Anyway, I got the sudden desire to make a video game over the next five years, just as a hobby, and have a fairly basic question.

I want to learn how to program C while using Xcode, and was wondering if anyone knew of any good books that went over those two specific things (C and Xcode)? Free electronic books are great as well. Smile

Well, thank you all for your time and help. Good job with the community; vBulletin seems pretty nice. I use IPB with my community for writers. I hope to be an active member once I learn something and can be helpful. Well, have a good day!

~Achi
Quote this message in a reply
I haven't seen the new OS X version, but I'd wager you can't go wrong with Learn C on The Mac. It's a classic.
Thanks AnotherJake,
The book looks fascinating, and covers exactly what I want it to cover. Smile The only problem I foresee is the version of Xcode, which I have 2.2.1, and the book goes over 1.5. However, if not 'too' much has changed since then, I should be able to get the gist of what he is talking about.

The other problem is the price... wow. lol, just kidding, the price is perfect, $15 dollars to get started is great for me. Thank you again for your suggestion, I am downloading the book as I type. Grin

If anyone knows of any other books that would be beneficial to me, your help would be great. Thanks! Have a good one!

~Achi
Achithyn Wrote:The only problem I foresee is the version of Xcode, which I have 2.2.1, and the book goes over 1.5. However, if not 'too' much has changed since then, I should be able to get the gist of what he is talking about.
Yeah, the Xcode version shouldn't be too much of a problem. But if it is, that's what we're here for!

Another book you should look at purchasing after you get the hang of C is The C Programming Language, which is affectionately known as K&R. I can't believe the price keeps going up on that thing. When I got it, it was only thirty bucks, and now they're asking 44? Sheesh... Anyway, that book will no doubt be recommended by Dave Mark as well (and everyone else for that matter). It is basically the C bible -- an indispensable and timeless reference. Not necessarily for the beginner, but you'll need it some day.
Hey again, Smile
Amazon has the book, used, for $17.00 dollars. So, that's not bad at all. Smile I have the book, book-marked, so when I finish Learn C on the Macintosh, I will definitely place my order for the new book. Thank you for your help! Grin

~Achi
Achithyn Wrote:The only problem I foresee is the version of Xcode, which I have 2.2.1, and the book goes over 1.5. However, if not 'too' much has changed since then, I should be able to get the gist of what he is talking about.
For what you want to do, not much has changed from Xcode 1.5 to 2.2.1. Create Standard Tool projects, and you should not have many problems with the Learn C book. One thing that might affect you is the names of Xcode build styles. The book may refer to Development and Deployment build styles. Your version of Xcode calls them Debug and Release.

Mark Szymczyk
http://www.meandmark.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Book and Basic suggestions? TimMcD 1 2,208 Oct 12, 2009 10:14 PM
Last Post: TythosEternal
  Learning Cocoa/Xcode game dev GregX999 0 3,848 Apr 4, 2009 07:26 AM
Last Post: GregX999