Space Box/Sphere

misteranderson
Unregistered

Hi, I've been trying to write a space combat sim, and one hurdle I'm on right now is the skybox, or rather, making the image for the skybox.

Now, a starfield looks good enough, though you can still see the corners of the box, because the images don't make up for the distortion. The same goes with the sphere, but the distortion is at the poles.

It gets more complicated when I try to add a nebula etc. to it, because then its impossible to make all the images match. In photoshop, I can make the images on the sides match up, but not the top and bottom. Any ideas? Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
I use a sky sphere. My sphere ( a textured mesh ) has multiple concentric layers which show different textures. I also render stars and planets as textured quads tangential to the sphere.

I render all this in back-to-front order with depth testing turned off. It looks pretty decent, plus it allows for full control -- procedurally -- over how the sky looks. For example, I can tint the sky based on the position of the sun, distance from the horizon, etc.

For example:
[Image: Screenshots-2005-10-25-06.png]
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need ray-sphere intersection code MattDiamond 23 14,894 Aug 31, 2009 02:28 PM
Last Post: Gengar003
  Help converting normals from global space to tangent space Muthaias 6 5,711 Apr 1, 2008 06:28 AM
Last Post: Muthaias
  Lighting a sphere with OpenGL lights (normals wrong?) cecilkorik 3 8,096 Dec 27, 2007 02:40 PM
Last Post: _ibd_
  seeing the inside of a sphere Najdorf 10 4,112 Jul 17, 2006 09:19 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  texture mapped sphere dave05 5 3,107 May 8, 2006 05:43 PM
Last Post: dave05