fstream bug on 10.2.8

Dingo
Unregistered

I've been having a hard time building my games lately. After a lot of fiddling I've isolated a strange problem which I can reproduce from an empty project.

I create a new carbon project and add this line to the main function (along with appropriate fstream include):

ofstream* fout = new ofstream() ;

It compiles and links fine but then I get an "exited due to signal 10 (SIGBUS)" error.

This error ONLY happens when I'm doing cross develop to 10.2.8 and when set for "Deployment". Which is a pain because these are the exact settings I need to release my games. It does compile fine under 10.3, or if I am working in "Development".

I'm using 10.3.9 with the latest version of xcode and tools available for this system.

I searched around and couldn't find any info about this. I am stumped, anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
paste the stacktrace.
Dingo
Unregistered

#0 0x00012b30 in std::locale::operator=(std::locale const&)
#1 0x0000ea3c in std::ios_base::_M_init()
#2 0x0000f4a8 in std::basic_ios<char, std::char_traits<char> >::init(std::basic_streambuf<char, std::char_traits<char> >*)
#3 0x0000851c in main
#4 0x000081dc in _start at crt.c:267
#5 0x0000805c in start
Dingo
Unregistered

No one has any idea? I really want my apps to be available for 10.2 but it is pretty hard when I can't read/write files.

Perhaps I'll try posting at iDevApps seeing as how this isn't game specific.
Luminary
You are building with GCC 3 right? C++ apps built with GCC 4 won't work on OSes prior to 10.3.9.
Just moving a post from dingo (from iDevApps) to here:

I posted this over at idevgames but didn't get much response. It's not game specific, so I thought someone here might have an idea.

I've been having a hard time building my games lately (after switching to a different system). After a lot of fiddling I've isolated a strange problem which I can reproduce from an empty project.

I create a new carbon project and add this line to the main function (along with appropriate fstream header at top of file):

ofstream* fout = new ofstream() ;

It compiles and links but when I run it I get an "exited due to signal 10 (SIGBUS)" error.

This error ONLY happens when I'm doing cross develop to 10.2.8 and when set for "Deployment". Which is a pain because these are the exact settings I need to release my games. It does compile fine under 10.3, or if I am working in "Development".

I'm using 10.3.9 with the latest version of xcode and tools available for this system.

I searched around and couldn't find any info about this. The only idea I have now is to upgrade to 10.4 but it's not actually my computer so I'm not sure if that's possible. I am stumped, anyone have any ideas? Is there any known bugs for fstream (Although I think I would have found that searching google). Any help would be appreciated. Smile

Stack Trace:
Code:
#0 0x00012b30 in std::locale::operator=(std::locale const&)
#1 0x0000ea3c in std::ios_base::_M_init()
#2 0x0000f4a8 in std::basic_ios<char, std::char_traits<char> >::init(std::basic_streambuf<char, std::char_traits<char> >*)
#3 0x0000851c in main
#4 0x000081dc in _start at crt.c:267
#5 0x0000805c in start

James Sayer
Dingo Games
http://www.dingogames.com/

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Dingo
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:You are building with GCC 3 right? C++ apps built with GCC 4 won't work on OSes prior to 10.3.9.

Yes, GCC 3.3. I tried 3.1 and the same problem occurs. However, with GCC 2.95.2 the problem goes away. My little test app successfully runs with 2.95.2

Unfortunately I don't think I can use GCC 2.95.2 for my actual games because then I can't link against the game dev library that I'm using (PTK). I get a bunch of undefined PTK symbols in the linker when I do. I don't know why.. perhaps it is fixible. Or can libraries built with GCC 3 not link to programs build with GCC 2?
Luminary
GCC 2.95's C++ is radically incompatible with GCC 3.x's; and GCC 3.x's is subtly incompatible with GCC 4.x's; from now on it *should* remain compatible...

It should be perfectly possible to build a C++ app with GCC 3.x that works on 10.2.8, though. libstdc++ is statically linked with GCC 3.3.

You might want to run nm /path/to/your/executable | grep U | c++filt to see what functions you're dynamically linked to -- maybe locale is an exception somehow.
Dingo
Unregistered

Thanks for the help.

I couldn't get the "nm" command to work.. I checked out some more examples of it online but I kept getting errors (even on different apps)...

I ended up switching from fstream to older stdio.h stuff - FILE fopen() etc. This stuff works fine. I still don't know what is wrong with fstream/deployment/10.2.8/etc.

Now I'm trying to figure out why the heck my .webloc files are getting corrupted when compressing them. bah.
Luminary
Probably because all their data is in the resource fork. You'll need to use a resource-fork savvy compression scheme. DMG is best.