uDevGames 2006 Trailer

Founder
Taxxodium brought up the idea of a promotional "trailer" for uDevGames 2006 marketing. I'm very keen on such an idea, as I'd like to make 2006 a great event. (No exact start time YET.)

Bascially, the trailer (QuickTime format) should emphasize the mission of uDevGames, its past glory/impactl, and its future implications/potential for gaming on our platform.

I've got a pretty good voice like the guy who seems to do all those summer movie trailers (ie... "Coming this summer....") So I'll volunteer voice overs if needed. Wink

Taxxodium is going to submit his storyboard. Meanwhile, I have two ideas of my own.

1) 2D DV project - Game montage
Start to finish shoould feature in-game action scenes from past games.. with a message each couple of seconds (black background with white text). The message would be delivered by the end of the trailer. Something like, "In 2001, the masses cried for originality..." In 2002, blah blah..." "This Summer, prepare yourself... blah blah." Of course, the last few frames is some "money shot". Wink

2) 3D project - 1984
Make a homage trailer to Apple's 1984. Instead of the "runner", model CMD-R in 3D. Have him running, like the 1984 commercial.. We'll need to video tape big brother and his voice saying things like "Mac users don't want games. Mac users are happy with just ports. blah blah...." Big brother screen gets destroyed and message appears. Flash some marketing catch phrase, "The Future of Mac Gaming starts on <DATE> - uDevGames 2006"

I'm sure we can have PureStatic stream the trailers so no problem with bandwidth.

Well, feel free to provide your storyboard ideas. But better yet, feel free to work on anything alone or as a team. Maybe we can show the trailer at MacWorld Wink

So, any DV and 3D artists amoungst us?

Grin

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Carlos Camacho Wrote:1984
As soon as saw the title to this thread this is exactly what I thought Grin Pity I'm so poor at CG... Cry

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
I'm gonna work on a CG version the CMD-R maskot, I already had a version but it sucks and I can do much better CG work now. I'll make the file available once I've finished it so that other can play with it.

Does iDevGames have a catch phrase? Something like Nike's "Just do it!"?

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
perhaps "just code it"? Grin

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Ken was a lonely young college graduate who worked a boring office job and lived in his parents' house. But then one day he heard about a game programming contest called uDevGames, and he got an idea. A big idea. He worked on his idea, and it became something awesome. Something wonderful.

uDevGames. Make with the wonderful.

(yeah, I'm a tad bored)

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Why not show concept art (fade to)-> prototype (fade to)-> finished game clips? Not that anybody actually did concept art or storyboards for uDG in the past...

The trailer might flow like this:
  • An old film countdown timer 3...*boop*,2...*boop*,1...*boop*,0, GO!
  • Some timelapse photography of a dev sketching.
  • Sketches (flash idea text), fade to prototype (flash code), fade to final entry/commercial release (flash multiple frames of people playing/judging)
Throw in some fast paced music and some nice logos.
End on uDG splash

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
kelvin Wrote:Not that anybody actually did concept art or storyboards for uDG in the past...

Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but I created concept art for several of my past uDG entries. I wouldn't be surprised if others have as well...
KittyMac Wrote:Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but I created concept art for several of my past uDG entries. I wouldn't be surprised if others have as well...

Sorry for going O/T but I think it would be really good to see some of the concept art for entries added into the postmortems that are heading our way soon. Or maybe we could have a 'Behind the Scenes' section for such content?
HarryCaray
Unregistered

What exactly is CMD-R? New here sorry.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  uDevGames 2006...? Shunter 16 9,868 Sep 22, 2006 02:26 PM
Last Post: gatti
  Puzzle games: Mini contest starting 2006-04-22 ThemsAllTook 75 28,259 May 11, 2006 07:11 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook