Puzzle games: Mini contest starting 2006-04-22

As much as I would like to take part in this contest, I fear real world stuff (with much bigger prizes on offer) will have all my attention during this period Sad
Quote this message in a reply
i wish i could enter this, but it appears that I have a rather important engagement this weekend, soaked to hell in substance abuse at the apollo bay music festival. Rasp
I don't think I have time at the moment, unfortunately. I will have to be content with Pawns being mentioned in the rules as an example. Smile

Still, I'll enjoy seeing what people come up with. Good luck with it!

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
It seems everyone at first was all "yay, mini contest, I like the puzzle theme", and now they've all gone to "boo, real life"
How is this being judged?

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Sage
yay, mini contest!!

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
No judging is currently planned. Since there aren't any prizes, the only purpose of judging would be to provide feedback to the participants, which I'm assuming will happen regardless. I'd encourage all participants (and non-participants, if possible) to write a short review of each game when they've all been submitted.
EvolPenguin Wrote:It seems everyone at first was all "yay, mini contest, I like the puzzle theme", and now they've all gone to "boo, real life"

The irony for me is that "real life" is preventing me from making a game for this contest by making me work on another game. Ninja

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
ThemsAllTook Wrote:No judging is currently planned.

Makes for an odd contest then. Either way...I'm game.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Just make a thread with a poll and let everybody vote. Then some mod can close it once voting period is over.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
I'd call this more of a code-a-thon than a contest...

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Luminary
Why the sudden argument over terminology? These things have been called mini-contests since the very first one. There have never been any prizes, nor any judging. IIRC, only one even had a poll thread...
Contest noun an event at which people compete for supremacy in a sport, activity, or particular quality

so in this case, the the "particular quality" is "free time this weekend to make a puzzle game" and the activity is "making a puzzle game very quickly", or that is reversed, or a combo of the two, or something.

The definition of contest does not involve judging or prizes, for instance in pissing contest amongst friends, you don't need a judge to say who pee'd further, and you don't need a prize to say "I pee the farthest, and use perfect spelling while writing my yellow essay".
OneSadCookie Wrote:Why the sudden argument over terminology? These things have been called mini-contests since the very first one. There have never been any prizes, nor any judging. IIRC, only one even had a poll thread...

Haven't entered any unofficial contests previously, so it struck me as odd. Contests are less fun without chest-beating/bragging rights after all...

The contest has started. Everyone get coding!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big contest for ExtremMotion Games orbrown22 0 1,323 Aug 29, 2013 09:36 AM
Last Post: orbrown22
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,215 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 21,077 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 14,976 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,812 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball