Puzzle games: Mini contest starting 2006-04-22

How's everyone doing?

I just had to chime in that the definition of Contest does indeed suggest judgment. "compete for supremacy" implies competing to be the best and you can't determine the best without some sort of judgment somewhere. In these contests, I guess each person judges for themselves. Smile

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
Quote this message in a reply
aaronsullivan Wrote:I just had to chime in that the definition of Contest does indeed suggest judgment. "compete for supremacy" implies competing to be the best and you can't determine the best without some sort of judgment somewhere. In these contests, I guess each person judges for themselves. Smile

See? I'm not the only rat (No offense, Aaron.) who expects cheese at the end of the maze.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
aaronsullivan Wrote:I just had to chime in that the definition of Contest does indeed suggest judgment. "compete for supremacy" implies competing to be the best and you can't determine the best without some sort of judgment somewhere. In these contests, I guess each person judges for themselves. Smile
Fair enough. I'll be careful to word it differently next time.

aaronsullivan Wrote:How's everyone doing?
My game is a bit behind my original intended schedule, but I think I'll still be able to make it in time with somewhat reduced graphics and audio. I'll probably continue to work on this one for a bit after the end date, and release a more polished version. I think I have a pretty solid concept, though, and it should be a lot of fun... you'll all get to see in a few days. Smile

Come to the #idevgames IRC channel on Freenode during the next couple of days if you want to witness the coding madness. Most of the people who are working on entries can be found there.
aaronsullivan Wrote:How's everyone doing?

As I'm being threatened with expulsion if I fail a particular module at uni (which doesn't even contribute to my degree classification Mad) I'm afraid I've dropped out of this contest...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Marjock
Unregistered

I basically just need to design levels for my entry, now. Probably there won't be any more than 5-10 levels in the version that's released for this Challenge (As opposed to contest, so as not to get rotten eggs chucked my way ;-) ).

And we'll see what happens to it after that.

Good luck everyone else,
-Mark
Marjock
Unregistered

Well, here's my entry, with as much progress is going to be made before the deadline:

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?p=114315

-Mark
Gargh, real life got in the way and I've yet to get input working. Not going to enter in time. Sad
Sage
I've got an idea!
I really amn't going to get an entry done with this much time left :/

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
My sumbission can be found at http://www.gerbilmedia.co.uk/mmingles.zip
Basically you have to guide little purple things through a hostile landscape by placing signposts and helping them out with magic potions and things. Smile
They are completely predictable - they like to go in straight lines, and if that's not possible they will turn left (unless a signpost tells them otherwise). There's only one level, because I don't have time to work out why loading a level from an external file make the line drawing function crash. Annoyed I think it's fair to say that this is an incomplete, buggy, unstable version with horrible graphics, but I think I'll try to make it a bit more presentable in the future. Right now I'm going to get some beer. Grin
EDIT - just remembered - you will need SDL and SDL_image installed. And libpng. Sorry. Rolleyes
The excessive use of smileys in this post is most likely due to having spent most of the last two days playing with little yellow people in purple cloaks and hats. It has a strange effect on a guy. Wacko
Right - beer! Grin
Apprentice
My submission can be found here

There are many things I still want to do with it, but this is what you get. There is no challenge mode yet, someday I will get around to that. So basically you just click on the little balls to make them explode and send out drops to make the others explode. Hope you have fun!
Finished at last! And with half an hour to spare.

http://www.sacredsoftware.net/software/g.../Gamut.tgz

How to play:

Each puzzle's goal is to satisfy the Color Targets with the exact number and color of inputs that they request. Color is transmitted from Color Generators, and can be affected by various filters along the way.

Drag objects from the panel on the right and place them to connect the objects on the grid together. You have a limited number of each object you can place, shown by the number in the corner of its icon. Objects that were already placed at the beginning of the level are locked in place; you can examine their properties, but nothing can be changed, and the object cannot be moved. You can freely move and modify any object you have placed.

When you're ready to try your solution, press the space bar. If your solution satisfies the Color Targets, you will be taken to the next level. While the puzzle is running, you can press the space bar again to stop and reconfigure your solution.

I think I'll continue work on this, give it a graphical facelift, add sound and music, more levels, front end, etc., and do a more official release. I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out so far.

Please let me know if you have any problems or suggestions!
iridescent ion
Unregistered

Finished my entry!

I mentioned to those on IRC that I had to leave (for my sister's concert Annoyed ), but that I would have net access where I was going. Well, the net just *had* to be down today. Just my luck. So here's my entry: http://www.fireyesoftware.com/iridescent...tmares.zip
I finished it on time, but could not upload it on time. Hope everyone is nice and lets this count Smile .

Instructions:
Your goal is to align all pipe segments. Move the wrench around with the mouse and click to rotate the highlighted segments. Press tab to change wrench sizes.
The contest has ended! I've edited the first post with links to all of the entries.

A big thanks to everyone who participated. It looks like we have some fantastic games here. I'm going to be writing extensive reviews of all of them, and I'd encourage others to do the same.

Thanks for your participation!
I'll try reviewing as best I can but with my recent hand surgery to fix a broken finger, I'm left touch typing with my left and tapping with a pen in my right. Smile

The sad thing to is that I had a neat idea brewing in my head the other week for a game and it was only today that I realized that it might have fit within the theme of this contest. Ah well. Maybe for next time.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Gamut launches and quits before showing anything.

10.3.9, 1gHz eMac G4

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big contest for ExtremMotion Games orbrown22 0 1,178 Aug 29, 2013 09:36 AM
Last Post: orbrown22
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,087 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 20,447 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 14,490 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,678 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball