Puzzle games: Mini contest starting 2006-04-22

diordna Wrote:Gamut launches and quits before showing anything.

10.3.9, 1gHz eMac G4
Yeah, sorry, it's not 10.3.9 compatible at the moment. I'm working on it, and hope to have a compatible version soon. Thanks for the report, though.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Pipe nightmares is giving An exception of class NilObjectException, and must be shut down :/
I see this with BlitzMax a lot not sure whats causing it due to no crash logs or anything.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
unknown Wrote:Pipe nightmares is giving An exception of class NilObjectException, and must be shut down :/
I see this with BlitzMax a lot not sure whats causing it due to no crash logs or anything.

NilObjectException smells very REALbasic-y to me.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Sage
Oh not BlitzMax, REALbasic right I get these programs confused all the time.

Oh heck. That's Asher Dunn, isn't it?

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
⌘-R in Chief
Of all of them, I played Pipe Nightmares the most. I liked the idea of Gamut, but using the sliders to adjust the color with no feedback on the result killed it for me. At the point the puzzle ended and the tedium began until you finallly got the right one. Cheers to all
Sage
I just used the picture diagram to work out what color you will get in result in Gamut.

FreakSoftware Wrote:I liked the idea of Gamut, but using the sliders to adjust the color with no feedback on the result killed it for me. At the point the puzzle ended and the tedium began until you finallly got the right one.
Noted. I'll have this fixed for the next version.
Another thing that would make the puzzle experience more entertaining would be something that automatically rotates the piece to fit properly (i.e. the 90° piece should turn to fit automatically) it probably wouldn't be too hard to do since you could just check for pipes on the necessary sides.

Other than that, and what seth said, I really enjoyed your game Smile

-CarbonX
Okay, my US $0.02 (in alpha order):

Attraption: I like this one a lot. Glad to see it's getting developed more. Maybe add some obstacles or devices to make the later levels more interesting. Also, it would be interesting to have a mode where random puzzles could be generated.

Gamut: I liked the idea behind this one but turning the pieces around was a pain. A lot of people use two button mice nowadays so having the right mouse button mapped to piece rotation would've been nice. It was also hard for me to remember which colors mixed together would get you what but I guess that's part of the puzzle. Also, having the text in the same box as the large picture of the selected tool was no good; I had a hard time reading some of the text.

Globegoons: This one was a nice, little casual game. I'd definitely like to see some challenge levels. Also, maybe some sort of scoring system as well as some other stats like longest chain of pops achieved, etc. Some more visual effects would be nice too like a gauge indicating how full your tank is, etc.

Mmingles: Well, not much to say since the game is largely incomplete. However, some thing I would like to see is an indicator that the Mmingles are about to come out. More stability would be nice too. Smile

Pipe Nightmares: This one too could've use right mouse button suport. Especially since I'm stuck using my mouse left handed and the tab key is on the left side of the keyboard... Still, I like this one a lot too. And actually, what I would like to see also is keyboard support since I find mouse control in games like these a little funky.

All in all, congratulations all entrants on a job well done.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
My order of preference:

1) Gamut
2) PipeNightmares
3) Globegoons

My comments:

Gamut - kick-ass gameplay idea. Pretty intuitive game mechanics -- I didn't have to read anything to figure it out, which is very impressive for such a brainy little game. Hard to think about to win a level. I like this game a lot.

PipeNightmares - very cool. I like the Garageband music. Graphics are alright. Pressing tab to change the wrench size was the only thing I had to read the readme for, so that should be displayed on-screen as a hint on start-up. Nice game!

Globegoons - it's a Unity based game! Cool! I didn't get the gameplay idea at first, but it wasn't hard after a few clicks. Interesting idea indeed. Seems like I've seen something like it before but I can't place a finger on it...

These other games wouldn't run for me properly on my Intel based Mac (could be great games, could be the machine, could be something else -- no real judgement made):

Attraption - graphics are easy on the eyes. Even after reading the instructions I can't seem to get anything happening except dragging one ball from the left and getting one reaction on the right. I suspect this isn't reacting as it should, but mabye I'm missing something obvious. Seems like a nice game though.

mmingles - won't launch on this Intel based Mac (I don't know if that's the reason). Sorry, but I'll have to come back to it later using an older machine if I get a chance. There was no crash log, but Console reported:

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
Referenced from: /Users/AnotherJake/Desktop/Deployment/Mmingles.app/Contents/MacOS/Mmingles
Reason: image not found
Marjock
Unregistered

Malarkey:

Thanks :-) Some simple further object(s) are indeed planned. Specifically a ball or other object which absorbs and stops all magnetic forces that hit it. I'd have put a bit of thought into random generation. It was against the rules of the contest, but that's obviously over now.

AnotherJake:

There's a 50/50 chance that it's a bug (I apologise) and that you're missing something, through no fault of your own; the game is in desperate need of a tutorial. Both the bugs and the lack of tutorial should be remedied in later versions.

Thanks heaps for the reviews, guys, they're really helpful. :-)

Other entrants: I am intending on reviewing each of your games, and will hopefully get to it within the next two days. Mmingles also quits on launch for me, sadly.

-Mark
Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback on my game.
There are plans for more visuals and levels and the like, but I think I did well for my first game ever especially since I had several large lab reports to write during the contest and other things that fought for my time. When I have time to add the other things in I will post the new version up.
I played pipe nightmares quite a bit and got regularly stuck on level 5, and finally managed to prove it has no solution :-)

If anyone's interested here it is:

First a lemma: The number of "vertical" pipes is either odd either even, and this cannot be changed through regular moves, since any possible move either makes 2 "vertical" pipes "straight", either makes 2 "straight" pipes "vertical", either switches 2 pipes, in any case the number of vertical pipes becomes -2,+2,+0, so if it was even it stays even and if it was odd it stays odd.

Now the proof:

1) we can reduce level 4 like this one:

[Image: picture2a9xo.png]

Since all moves are invertible, the original level has a solution if and only if this one has a solution.

Notice that we can isolate in this level two separate sets (the green set and the red set below) that are totally independent, since if a move changes one element of a set, it does not change any element of the other set.

[Image: picture2c0nz.png]

So to solve the level we need to solve both the sets independently.

But now notice that each one of the two sets has exactly 1 vertical pipe, and as from the lemma, it's impossible to turn this into 0 vertical pipes, i.e. it's impossible to solve the level Smile

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
LaRue Wrote:Thanks for the feedback on my game.
There are plans for more visuals and levels and the like, but I think I did well for my first game ever especially since I had several large lab reports to write during the contest and other things that fought for my time. When I have time to add the other things in I will post the new version up.

Heh, that speaks well of how good a product Unity is as well, I would imagine.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big contest for ExtremMotion Games orbrown22 0 1,093 Aug 29, 2013 09:36 AM
Last Post: orbrown22
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,009 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 20,068 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 14,194 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,594 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball