SndNewChannel error

I'm using SndNewChannel to create sound channels in my game. However, some few users report that this won't work on their machine. I've found out they get error -2004 Can'tOpenHandler. Any ideas why? My code looks exactly like the example code Apple provides there.

Switching to OpenAL is one option but then my games rely on OSX 10.4. At the moment I want to support 10.3 also. I would need an installer to install OpenAL on pre-10.4 systems...
Quote this message in a reply
McSebi Wrote:Switching to OpenAL is one option but then my games rely on OSX 10.4. At the moment I want to support 10.3 also. I would need an installer to install OpenAL on pre-10.4 systems...

You can compile the OpenAL framework so it works with Panther and I think Jaguar aswell. UT2k4 uses OpenAL and it doesn't require 10.4.

I don't recommend you use the Sound Manager in OS X. Use CoreAudio or QuickTime.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Luminary
The Sound Manager is deprecated. It's incapable of using more speakers than stereo, too, which is a good reason to avoid it.

OpenAL is the right choice. It works back to 10.2.8 -- just build it yourself from source and include it in your application bundle.
OneSadCookie Wrote:OpenAL is the right choice. It works back to 10.2.8 -- just build it yourself from source and include it in your application bundle.

This seems the way to go. Thanks for your comments!