using c++ stl in cocoa (obj-c)?

FreeKQuency23
Unregistered

I am a c++ programmer that is new to objective-c and cocoa and need stl container functionality like vectors, trees, lists, maps, etc...

From doing research, Ive found two possibilities:
Somehow use objective c++ and use the good old "c++ with STL" ,

Or use "objective-c and ObjectiveLib" which seems to be a port of the stl to objective-c:
http://objectivelib.sourceforge.net/

My question is then:
1. Any advice on which is the prefered method for game programming? I would think the first would be more cross platform compatible.

2. How would I link in to using said method? what frameworks would i need to add to my project etc..

Thank you.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
You could

* just use NSSet, NSDictionary, NSArray, etc.
* use Objective-C++ and actually use the STL
What I usually do is split the code base into Obj-C++ for the GUI and have it pass data to/from the game logic code written in standard C++, which of couse can use the STL as OSC has pointed out.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
FreeKQuency23
Unregistered

I think I definitely prefer the obj-c++ method, since Ive used the stl for years + i can port to windows/linux if i choose.

That being said Ive been trying to get the xcode compiler to recognize c++ libraries..
#include <iostream>
throws a compiler error. I put this in the .h file that belongs to a .mm file.
wtf?

How do you include c++ into an xcode proj? I think ive followed the release notes correctly.
When making the file do I make an obj-c cocoa file and rename it to .mm?
lost....
Luminary
make sure the .h isn't included from a non-c++ source file...
FreeKQuency23
Unregistered

Thanks everyone for your help.

I got it working by making all source files have the .mm extension (and header .h).
I have no .cpp and no .m files.

Not sure if this is the best way, but it seems to work..

Thanks again
We've been using Boost at work a lot lately. It might be killer if someone wrote a shared_ptr implementation for ObjC objects, to automatically do reference counting. Or just an auto-ref/deref wrapper even. I wonder if anyone has done something like that.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/