Beginner needs suggestions for starting programming

reterpay08
Unregistered

I have just gotten a mac because my last three Microsoftâ„¢ blew-up on me and i had decided to get a ibook G4â„¢ and i need to learn the language because i forgot C, C++ or whatever Appleâ„¢ uses as a language
@reterpay08: Macs are pretty language-agnostic, although your choice of language will be constrained by your choice of libraries you wish to use (for example, if you're using the Cocoa library, your choice of language is limited to Objective-C or Java); if you want to learn C or C++ for game development, I recommend that after you've got a grasp on the language you look into the SDL and OpenGL libraries.

You may also want to look into Dim3, an engine scripted in JavaScript which is primarily suited to developing first-person shooter style games, and which has an archived forum elsewhere on this forum, and an active forum here.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Sage
Hi please stop using trademark signs and use less e's in thread names.
Also what are you asking?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
OT: unknown, I retitled the thread; I'm sure you preferred the OP's I'm a n00b, plz basic help for programing Smile

Mark Bishop
--
Don't people use the Search function anymore? How many times do we have to repeat ourselves?

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
DoG
Taxxodium Wrote:Don't people use the Search function anymore? How many times do we have to repeat ourselves?
A lot of times. And then some more.
taxxodium Wrote:...How many times do we have to repeat ourselves?

So...make this sticky and cram it at the top of the forum.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Even further OT than before, but why not take those threads which have already covered the OP's question and turn them into a short article? Or is there a similar article already over on the wiki? Any thoughts? Any volunteers? Smile If people are positive but nobody volunteers, I might... Wacko

Mark Bishop
--
Why not make everyone asking this kind of question swear a blood oath to the unholy order and survive a trial by fire? Oh am I in the wrong thread again? damn.
igame3d Wrote:Oh am I in the wrong thread again? damn.

Yes you are. Somebody please make a sticky thread where beginners can find enough info on how to get started.

I'll give it a try later today.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
sealfin Wrote:Even further OT than before, but why not take those threads which have already covered the OP's question and turn them into a short article? Or is there a similar article already over on the wiki? Any thoughts? Any volunteers? Smile If people are positive but nobody volunteers, I might... Wacko

An article will only work if there is some way of actually adding it to the site and a clear link to it from the forums. Maybe a link to such an article should be included as part of the forum sign up process. Answering questions from the article could be part of the sign up process to make sure they have read it Wink
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Starting Programming Nick 17 7,802 Aug 2, 2004 11:44 AM
Last Post: GoodDoug
  Beginner Interested in Game Programming ThePenguin 17 7,533 Aug 31, 2003 06:40 PM
Last Post: mars