#import <ppc_intrinsics.h> for Universal Binary ?

OneSadCookie, I have never heard of freescale. Is the chip in my mac manufactured by them or IBM? Perhaps the compilers err too far on the side of caution.

Also I would point out that if you're upset, you have only yourself to blame. Your posting was inflammatory, not mine.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Your posting was incorrect. I can't let that stand.

Freescale is the new name for Motorola's PowerPC business.

No, the compiler is not overcautious.
Thank you for your civility. Nothing I said was incorrect, and I do not doubt that all PPCs manufactured by IBM support fsqrts and provide a single cycle fres and fsqrte.

It may or may not be that the one in my computer (G4) does not, apparently depending on the manufacturer.

You were nevertheless out of line when you accused me of speaking without checking.
Luminary
It does *not* depend on the manufacturer, only the model. The fact that G3s and G4s happened to be made by Motorola and not implement fsqrt, and that G5s happen to be made by IBM and do implement fsqrt is completely irrelevant.

And when refuting my statement about G3s and G4s, you checked only that the PowerPC ISA defined those instructions -- you didn't even go far enough to discover that they were optional, let alone checking the particular models that the discussion was in relation to.

Your posts #9:

Chris Ball Wrote:
OneSadCookie Wrote:the PowerPC has reciprocal square root estimate and reciprocal estimate, yes, but only the G5 has a full precision non-reciprocal square root instruction.

This is not so, what about fsqrt t,b and fsqrts t,b? Not to go on about it.

[snip]

and #11:

Chris Ball Wrote:
OneSadCookie Wrote:fsqrt and fsqrts are not available on the G3 or G4. Do some research before randomly arguing with me :|

OneSadCookie, that is certainly wrong.

[snip]

are undeniably incorrect; you never once qualified your statement to say "only IBM PowerPCs", and you specifically refuted what I said about the G3 and G4.

Posting incorrect information is bad enough, but trying to continue to claim that you're correct when you've been conclusively proven wrong is just plain rude. I'd appreciate an apology, but I'd settle for you just dropping the subject, at this stage.
OneSadCookie, I conceded that I was unaware that apple uses chips from freescale (I don't doubt that you and Dog are correct on that). I also stated that the 'optional' qualifier was absent in my IBM documentation from 1994. According to my databook right here (right or wrong) IBM G4 does support fsqrts.

While it is apparently true that the G4s used by apple do not support fsqrts, I insist that I was quoting accurately from the data in front of me.

I admit that the bottom line is that the instructions are absent; but I also assert that I took extraordinary care not to post incorrectly.

I have re-read the postings and I'm satisfied that you have been rude, not me. Ban me if you want to.
Yes I like boobies too, now please calm down or I'll calm you down Wink

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
No one is going to ban anyone. This argument seems to have arisen from a minor misunderstanding, and spiraled out of control from there. Instead of turning this into a who-was-rude-to-who debate, can we please drop it and stay on topic? If either of you want to continue the discussion, please do so with the possibility in mind that your information is incorrect, and don't take a challenge of its correctness as an affront to your intelligence. The forum is not a contest. Approach with a humble and open mind, and you may have an opportunity to learn new things. Approach with a closed mind, and all you're likely to get is heated argument.
DoG
Chris Ball Wrote:...According to my databook right here (right or wrong) IBM G4 does support fsqrts.

Don't you misunderstand something in your docs there? The G4 we are talking of is the PowerPC 7400, which IBM never manufactured. You must be thinking of the S/390 series IBM mainframes, which IBM also termed G-something, which supposedly do use some PowerPC chips to handle IO, but rely on custom big-iron processors otherwise.

So, in conclusion, your databook probably describes the IBM S/390 G4 mainframe, while the discussion was about PowerPC 603, 604 (G2) / 750 (G3) / 7400 (G4) processors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Creating universal binary(ppc/i386) with XCode 3.1.2 AdrianM 1 3,539 Apr 13, 2009 09:11 AM
Last Post: DoG
  Universal Binary on PPC : a few questions frozax 6 3,646 Mar 7, 2008 04:02 PM
Last Post: frozax
  Initial Svn Import? bronxbomber92 5 3,928 Mar 2, 2008 12:21 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Universal Binary skyhawk 3 2,912 Feb 4, 2008 11:52 PM
Last Post: sohta
  Universal binary? mac_girl 9 4,764 Jan 13, 2007 11:02 PM
Last Post: Frank C.