State of Mac Gaming

Maybe a tag-line more like: "Why do Mac games suck?" Annoyed

Alex
Quote this message in a reply
EvolPenguin Wrote:Maybe a tag-line more like: "Why do Mac games suck?" Annoyed

Alex

Why all this focus on Mac games sucking?
I was just planning a long winded thread about all the coolest games on Mac OS X according to my five year old daughter. She has a 30 GB hard drive filled with games, and just over the past few days, perhaps due to an increase in her maturity, volcabulary, and vocalization of her opinion of games as she is playing them, I've come to realize just how cool the Mac game scene is.

Zalister should interview my daughter, the future of mac gamers and game development at its very beginning. I say game development because she spends about a quarter of her day in level editors. Well except the past two days since she discovered Ragdollsoft and El Ballo.
I'm just trying to help him get his message out. Obviously he thinks mac gaming is not doing well, but instead of saying it sucks, he wants to find out why, therefore I thought that would be a better tag-line.

Mm, el ballo, must go play.

Alex
igame3d Wrote:Why all this focus on Mac games sucking?
I was just planning a long winded thread about all the coolest games on Mac OS X according to my five year old daughter. She has a 30 GB hard drive filled with games, and just over the past few days, perhaps due to an increase in her maturity, volcabulary, and vocalization of her opinion of games as she is playing them, I've come to realize just how cool the Mac game scene is.

Zalister should interview my daughter, the future of mac gamers and game development at its very beginning. I say game development because she spends about a quarter of her day in level editors. Well except the past two days since she discovered Ragdollsoft and El Ballo.

i find that especially odd, since my little 5 year old brother, who, in my opinion is a pretty intelligent little guy. Has no real notion of how the internet works. he has his own hand-me-down thinkpad laptop and has beaten all the games on it, but ive never seen him in any level editors. But thats maybe because he has alot of trouble defining the difference between games/movies and reality. Many a time has he tried to spin cut me with one of his plastic swords, expecting a radiant blue aura to swirl about him like in zelda Rasp are you downloading these games for her or can she actually navigate the internet?
Founder
Quote:since my little 5 year old brother, who, in my opinion is a pretty intelligent little guy.
Bah, igame3d's 3 year old daughter is making MMORPGs. Now that is clever. Wink

Welcome to the site. I think any positive words for Mac as a gaming platform is good. Much has changed since I started this site -- I couldn't find ANYTHING except for Krat's Mac game programming page. (Hello Kyle, where ever you are.)

I found that many Mac sites will go after the typical Mac developers. This is due to some relationship already existing. For me, I'd like to hear the thoughts of talented game developers who are NOT making Mac games (ports). I'd like to find out why, and so on.

It was fun to see members "play editor" for the interview... I should pretend I'm a regular John Doe, post stuff and get it proofed as fast! Rasp

Quote:DanLab is really successful shareware as well.
I heard that you can register DanLab for 20 euros, and get access to all his brain cells.

p.s. I want to read, "Will Mac Games Someday Seuck?" (Daniel and I are still waiting Wink )
Zalister
Unregistered

codemattic Wrote:I had no problem with the "Mac games suck" tag - it was a call to investigate why they suck and what we can do about it to end the suckitude. Nothing wrong with that.

Apple used to have a game evangelist person - I dont know if they still do - but Id like to read an interview with him if the position still exists.

nice interview btw.

Can you get me any more information on that guy, that is very interesting...
igame3d Wrote:Zalister should interview my daughter, the future of mac gamers and game development at its very beginning. I say game development because she spends about a quarter of her day in level editors. Well except the past two days since she discovered Ragdollsoft and El Ballo.

I'm all about being off the beaten track, if you want me to I'll send her a five questions interview and she can do what she will with it. I'm curious at least Wink. jaycarr@gmail.com Just email me there (I'm going to get so much more spam than the 700 I already get everyday...)

Carlos Camacho Wrote:Welcome to the site. I think any positive words for Mac as a gaming platform is good. Much has changed since I started this site -- I couldn't find ANYTHING except for Krat's Mac game programming page. (Hello Kyle, where ever you are.)

I found that many Mac sites will go after the typical Mac developers. This is due to some relationship already existing. For me, I'd like to hear the thoughts of talented game developers who are NOT making Mac games (ports). I'd like to find out why, and so on.

Thanks for the welcome, I keep forgetting I only have a few posts on this forum, I've read quite a few threads here and just neglected to post Wink.

If you want to hear from people who are making games specifically for Mac, I have an interview lined up with Ambrosia Software that's coming up this Saturday (hopefully, they agreed to the interview, they have the interview...but will it be back on time.) So check it out on Monday or so.

Also, for all you people who think I'm just a whiner. Yeah, so what? I've gotten a few posts from people trying to defend the state of gaming on the Mac. While I'll admit it's better than it was 5 years ago, I can't see that as a reason to lift up on the pressure. My site, hopefully, will help push it even farther. And I'm not apologizing for that.

Now, anyone who thinks I don't appreciate the work already done by people like Aspyr, MacPlay, Ambrosia and countless little titles that clutter my harddrive. You've got me all wrong. I love what games I do have...I'm just greedy and want more Wink.

Edit: One more question. Does anyone here know how I can get google to see my site? I keep putting in the exact title of my blog and nothing comes up. I think it's going to be hard to get much readership if the search engines don't see me... Though a little word of mouth might be nice... *wink wink, nudge nudge*.
Apple's game evangelist used to be Rich Hernandez. I think he still is, though his official title now appears to be "Partnership Manager."

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Zalister
Unregistered

K, maybe I'll give him a shot.
MattDiamond Wrote:Apple's game evangelist used to be Rich Hernandez. I think he still is, though his official title now appears to be "Partnership Manager."

Their unofficial evangelist has always been Carlos. Now if they can just be persuaded to start paying the man...

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:Their unofficial evangelist has always been Carlos. Now if they can just be persuaded to start paying the man...

The odds of that happening are approximately the same as Apple switching to Intel chips and then letting people run Windows on their iMacs. Wink

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.