Next OMG Cup, dim3

I have an idea for a an entry the next time there's a big contest, but I'd really be entering for the fun and feedback, and maybe a little bit of dim3 advertising*. So, I want you guys/gals thoughts on this ...

... the entry will be done with dim3. Now, IMHO, I don't think it's fair (especially for me) to enter a game done in dim3. Even though I might take only X number of days to do the scripting and assests, it's not really the "spirit" of the contest (since most contests have a time limit, and most enties are built from scratch, or close to it.)

That said, if I ask for some special category (i.e., I don't want any of the places), then I look like an egotist that's saying "I'm sure to win!" It's far from that -- my concept is sure to either (1) not work or (2) be boring. Smile

* actually, this entry might make a bad advertisment!

Thoughts?

[>] Brian
Quote this message in a reply
Second thought; unless it's me doing something really weird, I highly doubt there will ever be a dim3 entry for any of these contests. dim3 is designed for "big" things, and the people that are drawn to it pretty much use it for that (fpp shooters, RPGs, etc.)

Nobody is going to make the next quake in 30 days Smile

OK, I guess I'm just blabbering now...

[>] Brian
I suppose that if tools like Torque and Unity are allowed, dim3 would as well. (since isn't it similar to those two, or am I mistaken about the abilities of Torque and Unity?)
akb825 Wrote:I suppose that if tools like Torque and Unity are allowed, dim3 would as well. (since isn't it similar to those two, or am I mistaken about the abilities of Torque and Unity?)

No, we are all doing the same thing, but this is about ME personally, I have no problem with unity or torque entries, it's just that I personally don't feel fair using dim3, but would like to enter nevertheless.

... and, it's so hard to say this without sounding full of myself Sad

[>] Brian
Who else could create something good with dim3 other than its author! I'd say go ahead, show the full potential of dim3 to the masses. I would gladly help you with some assets (music and some graphics).

Doesn't have to be a game I think, just some interactive prototype of the possibilities would be more than enough..

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Nothing wrong than using your own engine to enter the contest... the OTEE guys did it with Pakimono and no one complained, even when the game made the final 6.

Just approach it with the intention of making a cool game, and you're on the same level as everyone else. Gameplay wins the day in OMG, so it really comes down to whether the game is fun, and that is still something that's solely up to the developer.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Of course it's fair! There's nothing made "from scratch" in programming, we are all standing on the shoulders of giants

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
ggadwa Wrote:No, we are all doing the same thing, but this is about ME personally, I have no problem with unity or torque entries, it's just that I personally don't feel fair using dim3, but would like to enter nevertheless.

... and, it's so hard to say this without sounding full of myself Sad

[>] Brian
Even then, I still say it doesn't matter. Just because you made it doesn't mean that you can't use it. You may have more knowledge about it than anybody else, but everybody else can still do the same things with it. It would just take them a bit longer if they aren't familiar with it.
ggadwa Wrote:... and, it's so hard to say this without sounding full of myself

Don't worry about it. We all have our source code we've built over the years which we reuse for rapid development, even if we don't label them "engines". You've put a lot of time and effort into dim3... it's high time you let yourself go and make something with it for the fun of it!
KittyMac Wrote:Don't worry about it. We all have our source code we've built over the years which we reuse for rapid development, even if we don't label them "engines". You've put a lot of time and effort into dim3... it's high time you let yourself go and make something with it for the fun of it!

Also, we have your source code too so there is even less reason to have any second toughts about using it yourself. Wink
Alright, you guys talked me into it. What I want to make is the most hair-brained "idea" (it's actually the execution that's hair-brained) for a game that destined to fail, so you people have nobody to blame but yourself when you have to test it for voting Smile

[>] Brian