Is pixel-art still cool, or is it all 3d these days?

MilesBaskett Wrote:Check out this guys 3d, he uses pixel techniques alot.
http://adam.lastchancemedia.com/

wow, pixelated textures!! dont see that very often...

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Quote this message in a reply
To create pixel art, do I really need to make my drawing pixel by pixel or is there an easier way? Like using the pixelate filer in Photoshop?

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Well, there's the fill tool, and you can usually design your own pixel brushes, but that's how it's done. That's why pixel artists are highly applauded. See this: http://www.swmoore.com/ultimatepaint.html
loki74
Unregistered

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find (or write) a shader for your favorite 3D app that will put out renders that look like pixel art.

...granted, it would not be authentic, but if its just the look you want, it might work.
2D art often seems "warmer" than the 3D stuff. Other than Duke Nukem I don't think any of my favorite games are 3D.

I think Earthworm Jim was an awesome example of what can be done with 2D.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Taxxodium Wrote:To create pixel art, do I really need to make my drawing pixel by pixel or is there an easier way? Like using the pixelate filer in Photoshop?
Simple answer, No.

Often that is the way people do it but you can rotoscope (Scanner Darkly, taking a video or picture and painting over it) using tools like renderes and ratracers, (handy to get perspective or orientations properly) and painting over it.

Use whatever tools that will make life easier. Aside from outright stealing, nothing is verboten.
Apprentice
If it could have been done by filters, japanese game designers would have invented it.... doing it by hand isn't actually that slow. If you can already draw(or do cad like illustration) it should be easy.

Side notes:
By using a filter,ect, you lose control of how the pixelation responds/displays once said filter is applied.Leading to alot of clean-up.You also loose a major benifit of pixel art, and why its used. Pixel art was made for, and by game artists that had low or little ram/memory/disk space.When making textures for 3d(or 2d sprites) you should make them have as little impact on the engine as possible.More often than not, texture space is wasted(at least in games made in alot of western countrys).We like to just throw a better graphic card at the problem so we can use bigger textures(and waste more texture space). Did you know Playstation2 uses texture sizes 256x256 and smaller? Also, using 4-bit textures speeds 3d engines up alot! Maybe I just enjoy total control over the impact my models make in a game environment too much.
I have a couple ideas for image processing that would make pixel art creation better... I wanted to add it into the sprite artwork application that was starting to be developed here awhile ago. I unfortunately am not as familiar with Cocoa as I want to be to pull it off... but I may make a proof of concept just to show my idea. It would take greyscale line art and try to make pretty clean pixel art through the use of an algorithm. I'm not sure about fills, but who knows, with the right tweaking...

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Apprentice
"it would take greyscale line art and try to make pretty clean pixel art through the use of an algorithm. I'm not sure about fills, but who knows, with the right tweaking..."

I can't wait to see what you come up with. Will it do un-aliased or aliased lines(or both)?
Pixel art by its very nature has "heart." It's a labor of love to make a sprite or texture pixel-by-pixel, and you can tell in the end result. Someone above mentioned 2D being "warmer" than 3D, and that's mostly true. I believe that pixel art can be brought into the 3D world quite successfully to make some really nice stuff. From a site linked above:

[Image: morden.gif]
SMagic
Unregistered

Sorry bout this but I posted a message about 2D Pixel artists needed and I don't know if it showed. Here's a brief description.

Hi there, this is a project being revived. I see big potential in this game, it is called Whispers in Akarra.

First of all! The spriting necessary for this game isn't that difficult but it has a theme that needs to be followed! 16x16 ingame and 32x32 inventory as well as possibly some portraits for NPC and building/spriteset spriting which would require bigger dimensions. If you feel interested in any of these domains email me at JohnPawlak@gmail.com

To check out what the game looked like, a site is being worked on, im not sure if the web designer put up the screenshots page yet.
The temp forums are located at: http://www.burningstormstudios.com/forums
The temp website is located at: http://www.burningstormstudios.com/wia

The game is a 2D Mmorpg that used to have 400-500 users playing it in its pre-alpha stages. The game runs while continualy being worked on. At the moment the game is down and big work is being done. The game has very good editors for each field, be it mapping, spriting, skills, effects, tileset, spriteset, creatureedit, itemedit and more.

The game is a medieval style mmorpg. The artists are not required to dedicate full time to this or even too much time. It is more of a help out when you can and get to know the team as well as grab some fame with the ever growing community.

**For the time being, the forums aren't populated since they have just gotted up and many old players are still lingering in distant web corners.

The artists would receive images of what the item/monsters/NPC's look like and would be able to either modify them or create new ones using the similar theme.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cool looking tutorials...too bad I don't read Japanese Leisure Suit Lurie 2 3,327 Nov 3, 2005 05:02 PM
Last Post: PowerMacX
  Cool texture website DanLab 0 3,235 Jul 18, 2004 05:59 PM
Last Post: DanLab
  cool program for music AREM 1 3,217 Aug 29, 2003 01:49 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie