Cross Platform SVN

Sage
I recently set up an SVN repository on my PC but am having trouble accessing it on my Mac. I tried using "svn ls svn://NICK_PC/" but I get an error stating NICK_PC is an unknown hostname. I can use the normal network folder to see my PC and even gain access to any shared folders, but the SVN won't work. Can anyone tell me how to checkout the repository? Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
you'll need to know its IP address, and you'll need to set up an SVN server on the PC. Honestly, it'd be easier to host the repository on the Mac.
Sage
Problem is both ways. I need access for both computers because I plan to work on my next project using SDL for Windows and Mac. I am using synserve on my PC so I have the server, and running "svn ls svn://localhost" works fine on the PC. If it truly is easier to run it on the Mac, I'm fine with that so long as my PC can get the files as well.
Luminary
well, if svn ls svn://localhost works on the PC, then svn ls svn://your-PCs-ip should work on the Mac.
Sage
That works great, thanks. I was trying to use the PCs name Rasp.
Luminary
If it has a static IP, you could add a name for it in the /etc/hosts file, then you could just use the name Wink
Sage
Yeah, but my network is run on a router so all the IPs are dynamic. Thanks OSC. Now I just have to figure out the best way to use SVN (perhaps find a nice GUI client to help me a bit).
Luminary
There are no "nice" GUI clients. The command-line is the best Wink

You're going to have problems if your IPs are dynamic, 'cos the IP of the server will be stored in the SVN checkout. Yes, you can use "svn switch" to change that IP, but that'll quickly get annoying. You're going to need to get the PC to export a rendezvous name that the Mac can see, or give it a static IP, or something like that.
Apprentice
The best I've found for the Mac is svnX, and it's rather poor (although much better after the recent update). On the Windows side, most people prefer the TortoiseSVN client that adds svn items to Explorer. Xcode and I believe there's a VS.NET addin that gives svn access too, although I'm not a big fan of those either.
Sage
svnX isn't too bad to use. The only thing I've seen is that I have to select all files inside a folder along with that folder to delete it. Generally, I'll just pop over to my PC to do any real maintenance. Commiting changes works fine with svnX.
Apprentice
Yeah, svnX isn't too bad. I don't like the disjointed repository/check out folder thing and I think the interface is a bit cluttered. But it does work, and the recent update fixes saving of your list items. It's also fixed to work with 1.3, so I may start using it again. The command line works well for me when I haven't added a lot of new files, I can just type svn ci -m "message" and hit enter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Multiplayer, social and cross platform API Yespapa 0 1,220 Aug 14, 2013 02:43 AM
Last Post: Yespapa
  Cross platform library for http communication? Najdorf 2 3,879 Jan 11, 2009 01:13 PM
Last Post: Najdorf
  Cross-Platform IDE compatible w/ Scons wyrmmage 6 6,035 Mar 30, 2008 06:47 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Cross Platform System Commands wyrmmage 5 4,262 Feb 23, 2008 03:58 PM
Last Post: wyrmmage
  cross-platform SDL packaging mac_girl 4 4,413 Mar 11, 2007 04:45 AM
Last Post: mac_girl