Revised: What is your favorite programming language?

DoG Wrote:If that is what you are asking, you should have given a less general title to the poll. But I agree with OSC, this is a preeeetttty flawed poll Wink
If I were to try to put every scripting language and hardly used compiled language in there, I'd quickly run out of items and I'd get more complaints. Wink (why did you include Perl and Python, but not Ruby?) I suppose I could have included assembly, but it's really not used that often any more. These are pretty much the most common languages used here, AFAIK. If other gets too many votes, we can ask everybody what languages they want to add to the list and we can make a revised revised poll. Rasp
Quote this message in a reply
DoG
Just in case anybody is thinking about what to click on the poll too seriously: http://www.cabochon.com/~stevey/blog-ran...babel.html
That's a fun article :-)

Ok, you can mess up in C++ if you're not careful, but if you're good you can provide extremely powerful and easy to use tools (such as the STL)

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
DoG
Najdorf Wrote:...easy to use tools (such as the STL)

I nearly had a deadly coughing fit when I read that one. Must be the first time in history I see "easy to use" and STL mentioned in the same sentence. Ease of use is definitely not one of the glorious properties of the STL.
C is in the lead! Grin Grin

This pleases me greatly.
Where's UNIVAC binary? Wimps Smile
C++ and Lua. I'm an OOP-whore. I use STL too but I feel like I'm sinning every time I do. Not that it stops me.

Oh, and Hypertalk pwns me.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
When I'm programming in C++, I generally use the C standard library and make my own custom data structures. Sure, it probably takes longer, but I know it has what I want and need. I think the main drawback of the STL is that it isn't very well documented, though I haven't used it much myself. From what I've seen, though, it doesn't appear too difficult to use. I generally don't use a very large portion of the standard libraries of either language, really, just what I need for file IO etc.
akb825 Wrote:I meant a stretch as far as compiled is concerned, because traditionally it's interpreted.

The only Mac BASIC I can think of that's interpreted is Chipmunk.

(Fight)(Fight)(Fight)

I am the BASIC pimp.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
BASIC was originally interpreted, and it's only recently that it became compiled. (I guess in an attempt to make it more mainstream)
Well java isn't even compiled afaik, still it's in the list.

It's still considered a compiled language. It's basically the machine instructions for a virtual machine, rather than keeping the instructions the same as what you read and parsing it each time it's run.
Sage
Najdorf Wrote:Well java isn't even compiled afaik, still it's in the list.

It's not? It's compiled once to an intermediate bytecode and possibly a second time to native code if the VM sees fit to do so at runtime. It's just not compiled in the 'traditional' C/C++ way.

For that matter, any language that is traditionally interpreted could be compiled. Heck, with Forth, compiling and interpreting are practically the same thing. Lisp, a language that is traditionally interpreted has compilers that exist for it.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I heard there's also an assemby interpreter that runs really slow Rasp

That would probably be more like an emulator. Rasp We could probably beat this to death, and I'm sure there's C interpreters out there somewhere. I just listed the most common compiled languages that are used for games and applications, whether compiled into interpreted bytecode or compiled when it traditionally is not. (but is mainly compiled today)

BTW, C# also runs on top of a virtual machine. It's basically like Java, but only works correctly on Windows (because of the .NET framework) and gives the programmer a bit more control.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Swift: Apple's new programming language funkboy 4 1,203 Jun 4, 2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: JustinFic