Revised: What is your favorite programming language?

Luminary
akb825 Wrote:BTW, C# also runs on top of a virtual machine. It's basically like Java, but only works correctly on Windows (because of the .NET framework) and gives the programmer a bit more control.

http://mono-project.com/
Quote this message in a reply
I qualified my statement for that reason, but I would say that it has a lot more available on it for other systems than I thought.
Ok, other is beating everything but C and ObjectiveC. I think I'll make yet another revised poll. What other languages do you want me to include? I will be able to include 8 more languages, 9 if you want me to take off C#. I'll take the top ones mentioned.
DoG
There are a myriad languages, just make a thread where everyone can post their favourites without any checkboxes.
I'm currently using STL on a project and also used it for a project last year. I would not say it was difficult to use. It certainly made the code cross-platform.

I think you should leave C# in the poll as there are a number of multi platform developers here and it is used in Unity is it not?
If this is a favorite programming languages, as opposed to "languages you currently use" (which was the subject of polls in 2004 & 2005, although I can't seem to locate them), then I'd like to see Logo (Love - my first programming language).

Oh, and Whitespace (again, only if this is going to be a "favorite language" poll Wink )
Shall we re-title this thread: "Beat up on akb825"? Rasp

I probably would've voted Logo, too. Instant gratification is a great feature in a a language.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Sage
This is strange, Why is Objective-C so popular?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Luminary
Because it's what you program Cocoa in... also, it's a nice language -- most of the benefits of a really dynamic OO language, with most of the benefits of an efficient low-level language.
unknown Wrote:This is strange, Why is Objective-C so popular?

All the power of C, with all the niceness of Smalltalk without all the horribleness of C++, or retardedness of Java or C#. Ain't perfect, but a hell of a lot better than the alternatives.
Unfortunately the API has such a high learning curve. Of course, that isn't really the fault of the language. I still prefer C++, and don't really know why so many people hate C++. Annoyed (I certainly agree with the comment about the retardedness of Java and C#, though Rasp)
Luminary
C++ is "low-level", so it should be good for writing efficient code in. Unfortunately, there's so much going on behind the scenes with pass-by-reference, copy constructors, assignment operators, etc, that it's not actually easy to optimize C++ code. If you want efficient code, you write C, 'cos at least you know exactly what's going on.

C++ is "object-oriented", so it should be easy to write high-level code in. Unfortunately, there's so little flexibility, reflection, and dynamism in what it provides that you don't have the tools to easily write high-level code. The APIs that try it end up inventing a whole extra layer of dynamism and reflection (Qt's MOC, for example). If you want a high-level language, use Python or Ruby... heck, even Java (too-rigid static typing) and ObjC (no garbage collection) are better.

That's why *I* hate C++ -- it's never the right tool for any job.
Sage

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
I heard brian greenstone saying on the IMG podcast that C is good and C++ is evil... and that if he had written his games in C++ he would have had a much harder time to universalize them.

BlitzMax coding is actually kind of a sloppy C++, where for instance all fields of a class are public (yay!), and all objects are passed in functions by reference. And that's about how I code in C++ too ;-)

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:I heard brian greenstone saying on the IMG podcast that C is good and C++ is evil... and that if he had written his games in C++ he would have had a much harder time to universalize them.
I'm looking for more of the "why." Keith gave me a decent answer, but I haven't had any problems and don't foresee any problems with what I'm working on. Mainly because I can check specific types with dynamic_cast<>() (since it returns NULL if the cast isn't valid) and I can specify behavior with virtual functions, and pass it up higher with scope resolution (to a superclass) if I just want to add something before the superclass' implementation. Perhaps my opinion about C++ will change as I do more with it if I run into some limitations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Swift: Apple's new programming language funkboy 4 1,214 Jun 4, 2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: JustinFic