Indie Rev Developer

http://www.crossbeamstudios.com

I know, not mac. But I jsut thought I'd share as this appears to be a small company just starting out that 'gets it'. You know what I mean?
From their "about us" page:
"You will not find us whining about polygon counts or bragging about the number of enemies we throw at you in a single scene, there's more important things for us as developers. While we'll get you the graphics needed for the best possible experience, there's more to that experience than what your eyes and ears tell you, and we aim to incorporate those other parts of you, you sense of touch, your brain, even your emotions."

when I read that I was hooked.
Also an interview with one of the devs:
http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/...#more-2885
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
So they are developing for the Nintendo Revolution, mac or not isn't a big issue, but what are the chances for being able to develop for the rev. without massive amounts of funding?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Quote:You will not find us whining about polygon counts or bragging about the number of enemies we throw at you in a single scene, there's more important things for us as developers.
Also on their site...
Quote:~A vast world to explore, make discoveries, form alliances, uncover the secrets hidden deep in the past.
~A storyline featuring over a dozen main characters with over a hundred supporting roles.
~Customizeable weapon system with hundreds of possible combinations.

I'll leave everyone to decide if they think that is silly.

-Jon
unknown Wrote:So they are developing for the Nintendo Revolution, mac or not isn't a big issue, but what are the chances for being able to develop for the rev. without massive amounts of funding?
The SDK for the Revolution is cheaper than the SDK for the PSP. I believe they are saying it's around $2000.
aarku Wrote:I'll leave everyone to decide if they think that is silly.
You mean that those two quotes seem to contradict one another? Or that the second one seems [ahem] a little ambitious?

Seems like an interesting group though.
the concept art is amazing.
Honestly, the whole thing seems suspect to me. I'm impressed they're generating the buzz that they are, but there's nothing there. The design of their biggest project is about a half dozen pieces of concept art and a back-of-the-box-sized backstory.

Apparently they're still working on a conceptual pc demo (still not even any screenshots) but yet this is supposed to be a massive world with hundreds of characters and weapons AND it's going to be a launch title for a console for which their ability to develop completely depends on whether they get a dev kit AND approval from Nintendo? Even if they did get all that, they'll only have about 6 months from E3 to make this game, with no funding.

It sounds like they'd be much better off going for Xbox Live Arcade or whatever the Sony/Nintendo equivalents of that will be, and vastly toning down the scale of the game they're proposing. They say they have a team of 18, so they could easily use the dev kit, split up into groups of 2-3, and make 6-9 small downloadable games for $5-10 a pop.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian