Question about gametutorials

Xentery
Unregistered

Hi guys, I an new to the whole game development scene.
I do have prior PHP programming experience. I have been developing web applications with PHP for about 3 years now. I recently picked up the C++ Primer PLus (5th ed.) and have been dabbling around making simple CLI based programs.
The most advanced one would have to be a number guessing game, where the user specifies the number range. A desired number is randomly generated and the program tells the user wether their guess is higher or lower than the desired number. The amount of guesses is recorded, and once the user guesses the correct number they are given a congrats message and are put into a category. The categories are kind of silly, I just threw them in there for a laugh. (ex. less than 3 guesses, user is genious, ... more than 50 guesses, user is rather dull.)

Anywhoo, I had no clue how to go about developing programs with a GUI, so I did a bit or research and stumbled upon OpenGL as well as SDL.

I aslo found this site:

http://www.gametutorials.com

Sadly the tutorials are suited for a Windows environment. Does anyone have experience with this site's products, or does anyone know of a similar site that is good for the Mac environment. The video tutorials offered by GameTutorials are enticing, and I would prefer to have a CD that I can pop into my iBook instead of slithering my way around webpages.

Thanks in advance for any useful posts. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
I learned OpenGL from that site back when the tutorials were all free (sadly they have gone commercial). I do think they are very good at teaching you how to start off in OpenGL. They may have more advanced tutorials now, but I know that the first ten or so provided a nice solid grounding to start from with OpenGL.
Xentery
Unregistered

Thanks, I think that I will pick it up and see what I can learn
I am sure that eventhough it is meant for windows, I can find
some usefull info for any OS. Besides, if there is a must, I can
always head upstairs to the family computer and kick my brother
off of his damn games.

(it is kind of funny how I can never really get addicted to games,
yet I find creating games/programming in general fascinating)
Sage
That's a good plan Rasp.

Yeah, the Windows stuff isn't a huge deal and it is easy to get past it and learn the OpenGL content. The downside is you have to set up your own OpenGL context and view (which they don't teach for Mac OS X), but you can easily find free tutorials or people on this forum who can teach you that (I sort of could but I'd suggest someone a bit more experienced).
Download the SDL dev package for Xcode:

http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-devel-...pkg.tar.gz

You then get to chose, after selecting new project, "SDL OpenGL Application": chose that. (for some reason it also bundles Glut but doesn't use it (i think...))

Then strip it of the useless stuff and you have everything setup (and you can write your main code in C o C++)

It's a bit more messy than on windows to set up the thing, but then it's the same.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Ok, I've done it for you since i also had to do it for myself:

http://www.radicalrebound.com/sdl_opengl.zip

It opens a window, draws a triangle, checks if you're pressing esc or closing the window, and keeps the framerate to 60 fps (though it doesnt sync to the monitor refresh, you'll have to ask the experts for that).

You only need to understand the main.cpp part (which is just 150 lines or so) , the rest is wierd cocoa stuff Wink

Oh, if you want to use cocoa-opengl instead (without SDL), you can check the NeHe tutorals ( http://nehe.gamedev.net/ ) which have also a cocoa port (totally incomprehensible to me). Using SDL though ensures your code is easily made cross platform.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads