Salary survey

Start sending those CVs off now. Do not wait until the summer.

The whole job hunting process can take months (month or so before they get back to people after getting CVs, waiting for people to work 3 months notice etc.) so any time saved now means less time with no income further down the line.

Also if someone shows interest now it may provide that motivational boost you need.

If your CV ends up on the desk of someone who wants you then they will easily wait 6 months for you if you have skills no one else has.

Remember that your age is an asset in the eyes of some employers so do not worry about going up against kids with no real life experience.

I know what you mean about it being hard to make that jump and leave your comfort zone, even if that zone is not so comfortable. I had the (mis)fortune of being forced to make that move out when a former employer went bust without actually going bust. A pay cut is one thing, but being told you are not getting the last month's pay and losing over £6000 is much more painful.
Quote this message in a reply
Your age is not a negative- it is a great benefit for many companies. I can say in my job search I've seen a lot of jobs I'd like to try, but then I see a "3-5 years minimum experience" requirement for the position, and then I back down. Change 3-5 to 7-9 sometimes (!).

Definitely start getting that CV together and sending it out - it's never too soon to start.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Curious: what's everyone's thoughts about Curriculum Vita vs. Resumé? What about CV vs. Euro Vita?

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
All of those are awful. Everytime I write "Resumé" I see Ree-zoom, CV sounds like something you get from unprotected sex, and naturally EV is the third installment of a cool video game.

I think next time I write one I'm going to label it "Captain's Log"
DoG
igame3d Wrote:I think next time I write one I'm going to label it "Captain's Log"

Grin I am sooo going to steal that. My prospective employer has the right to know about my level of sanity. Not hygiene, though, that is an entirely private matter.
Pardon my ignorance, and apologies for the slight thread derailment, but what is a Euro Vitae? Sneaky

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
That much of a cut in salary is absolutely ridiculous. Leave now.

I would say more, but I have to leave now.
I have to second (third? fourth? Smile) what everyone else is saying. It sounds like that company wants to get rid of you and is coming up with excuses to do so. In my experience, Japanese culture tends to be very non-confrontational, so that's exactly the sort of thing you could expect. Privacy compliance? Pay cuts? Sheesh. I'm also with you on the xenophobic aspect of the culture. When I visited there for two weeks I got a bit of culture shock just from the different surroundings and lack of English, but more than that from the people themselves. A lot of the younger generation love foreigners (Americans and Germans in particular, it seems), and many people were very friendly and helpful to us. But my friend and I got a lot of dirty looks and borderline rudeness, too.

And $2k a month is monkey change for any kind of technical work. I know secretaries that get paid more than that. So that's definitely not a good sign if they're dropping you down like that.

The US job market is pretty crappy right now but it's getting better again. I'd say that knowing dynamic stuff like PHP and having direct experience with Japan and Asia in general is a big plus though. I also agree with what was said above about your age. Sometimes people don't want that wild youthful exuberance; they're just looking for someone solid who can learn new things as needed.

That said, I'd give credence to checking out other places in the world too. Maybe stick to places that have more of an English influence so you're not right back at the bottom of the language barrel again, but as long as you have an environment that allows it, might be good to take advantage... You could also consider other parts of the US. That can be as different as another country sometimes too (one reason I love Portland Smile).

Good luck with it all, and remember not to throw up your hands and say "I'm old!!" No way man, 36 is just in time for your second childhood! Wink

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
I can picture Carlos re-enacting 'Falling Down' in the office. If so, I hope we can watch the company surveillance footage.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Apprentice
Carlos: We're looking for a Project Manager. The pay is definitely WAY better than 2k/month. Plus, we're definitely NOT a xenophobe company. (How could we, when most of our customers are foreingers...)
Founder
>Japanese culture tends to be very non-confrontational,
That is correct.

>And $2k a month is monkey change for any kind of technical work.
I'm expecting I'll next be ask to wear a monkey suit.

>No way man, 36 is just in time for your second childhood!
Cheers, good to hear that.

>I can picture Carlos re-enacting 'Falling Down' in the office.
I'm trying to avoid going to McDees and ordering the breakfast 1 minute after they change their menus. (Actually, since I left the US, I almost never eat there.)

>Carlos: We're looking for a Project Manager.
Me? Living in Swiss? With all the chocolate temptation? Tell me more. Love

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I chucked in a £40k a year job to set up my own company at 36. You're never to old to think "screw this, I can do better" Smile
sealfin Wrote:Pardon my ignorance, and apologies for the slight thread derailment, but what is a Euro Vitae? Sneaky
It's a condensed form of a CV. Usually contact and primary information is listed in a matrix on the first page along with your photo. It's also a shorter/faster read for potential employers.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
kelvin Wrote:along with your photo. It's also a shorter/faster read for potential employers.

CREEPY in so many ways.
⌘-R in Chief
Step 1: Increase your skills.
Step 2: Find a job elsewhere.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Short survey about app translation - help out my Startup Weekend team funkboy 6 5,101 Oct 2, 2011 12:20 AM
Last Post: SethWillits