Salary survey

You forgot Step 0.5: Move in with Seth in his parents' upstairs.
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
>along with your photo.
Not to make Japan look even more terrible than I have for the past few years (it isn't as bad as I sometimes make it out to be) but you'd cringe at Japanese resumes.

* They have to be hand written. (The ability to write readable kanji characters can say a lot about an employee)
* Your mug shot MUST be included -- passport size, and it must be recent
* It isn't uncommon to list your schools going back to elemetary/primary!
* I recall needing to list my family members and what they do!

Since most people use resumes in Japan after college -- get a job, and then NEVER need one again, resumes tend to be all fluff. That is, Japanese college students don't do ANYTHING in four years (ie internships) so they have almost nothing of substance to put on their resume.

BTW, here is a kicker. So my salary goes down. Suddenly a new young 'programmer' is hired a few days later. Mad On the bright side, I've recently been 'teaching' the young woman next to me some basic CSS. I showed her how to use Firefox's extension to quickly check the links, alt tags, divs, etc. on a page she is making. She was 'blown away.' (She was gonna check EVERY page line by line! :cringeSmile Teaching can be very satisfying sometimes. Smile (Especially if the student is cute Wink )

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
DoG
I don't really know what all the fuss is about with the photos, it's pretty common place in Europe, too. Handwritten stuff is being phased out, especially in technical jobs, where people are not expected to write by hand in any kind of way another person might be able to make sense of.

Carlos, being who you are, what we know of you, I can only encourage you to try something completely different, create a company, go eat Swiss chocolate, something like that. It's really never too late, even if it's not easy at first.
DoG Wrote:I don't really know what all the fuss is about with the photos, it's pretty common place in Europe, too.
Discrimination by race, color, or sex or personal aesthetic preferences before they even read your resume, thats the fuss.

They look they say "Oh damn wrong color, he's out", just one example.
They look they say "Oh she's cute, she's in, everyone else I can ignore", another example.
Apprentice
If the resumes at my company had to be hand written, the support guy wouldn't have gotten his job. Reading notes by him is like a lesson in applied cryptography. Wink

My resume was rather short, having had only one job after(during) university. Just a short timetable showing how long I did what, a table with my skills and experience plus the usual personal data. Created a pdf of it and the rest was done by email. If I can't apply to a job as a programmer/something similar by email, then most likely the company isn't for me anyway.
DoG
igame3d Wrote:Discrimination by race, color, or sex or personal aesthetic preferences before they even read your resume, thats the fuss.

They look they say "Oh damn wrong color, he's out", just one example.
They look they say "Oh she's cute, she's in, everyone else I can ignore", another example.

Not to be racist, but that seems a very American thing to say, always being over-concerned about political correctness. If my future employer does the hiring by that standard, I don't want any part of it anyway. The photo is just there to put a face to the name, and it is definitely not bad that people will know what you look like when you go for an interview.

As far as discrimination based on looks is concerned, they can as well do that when you are interviewed.
DoG Wrote:Not to be racist, but that seems a very American thing to say, always being over-concerned about political correctness. If my future employer does the hiring by that standard, I don't want any part of it anyway. The photo is just there to put a face to the name, and it is definitely not bad that people will know what you look like when you go for an interview.

As far as discrimination based on looks is concerned, they can as well do that when you are interviewed.

Well your not being "racist" because American isn't a race, did you think we were? Don't believe your TV.

The thing is you will never even get a chance at an interview if the person
is influenced in anyway by people's looks before reading the qualifications.

At least getting your foot in the door lets you overpower their possible racist or sexist mindset with some fast talking and pheremones, and then no matter how gruesome you are, you still might have a chance.

Unless you are applying for a position as a model or in some form of public entertainment intended to sway sexually impressionable clients, looks should never be a factor.

As for Sacha's comment about applying by email, damn straight!
When I see "fax" I'm like, whoa, what is this company stuck in 1990?
I read an article back in '93 how the fax machine being forced into the market when they had the technology for email totally held back internet adoption for years. Faxin Bastards!

Almost as bad is when I see send resume to xxxx@yahoo, or xxxx@hotmail, or
xxxx@AOL.com. Those are completely untrustworthy email addresses, especially for sending personal information to.
igame3d Wrote:At least getting your foot in the door lets you overpower their possible racist or sexist mindset with some fast talking and pheremones, and then no matter how gruesome you are, you still might have a chance.

Gruesome can pay off, too. If they are terrified you might eat them at their desk.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
DoG
igame3d Wrote:Well your not being "racist" because American isn't a race, did you think we were? Don't believe your TV.

No need to be an *******. You know damn well what is meant by my statement. If you need to resort to insults to sway an argument, if you can't take part in a civil discussion, go see a therapist. You have a problem. You have been doing a lot of name calling here recently, and this does it.

Quote:...
At least getting your foot in the door lets you overpower their possible racist or sexist mindset with [...] pheremones [...].

That would mean you overpower the racist mindset by abusing the sexist mindset of the employer? Countering the sexist mindset with pheromones? That sentence lacks sense.

I'd like to do a bit more name calling and insulting here, but that is your domain.
Um DoG... I think igame3d was just trying to be witty/funny with that comment. It clearly wasn't meant to be a direct attack against you in any shape of form.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
The proper way to hire a technologist is:
1) collect resumes and remove the names
2) check the applicant's history
3) administer a written test
You meet the person you hired when they come in the door.

I suggested this at the last place I worked and they all found the idea very interesting. Not interesting enough to do, though.
Chris Ball Wrote:The proper way to hire a technologist is:

I suggested this at the last place I worked and they all found the idea very interesting. Not interesting enough to do, though.

So you remove the names, call their phone number and say "hey you come in for a test", and their wife shows up confused?
You missed steps:
4) call in three prospects, have them meet the crew and chat
5) crew decides who they like the best

Meshing with the group is important.
I've noted that companies that don't do this and base employment solely on the employer interview usually get someone that
A) can't do the work
B) creeps everyone else out

Might not matter so much in the cubicle world.
Chris Ball Wrote:The proper way to hire a technologist is:

You forgot step 0) throw half the resumes in the bin. You don't want an unlucky technologist do you Wink
igame3d Wrote:4) call in three prospects, have them meet the crew and chat
5) crew decides who they like the best

Meshing with the group is important.
I've noted that companies that don't do this and base employment solely on the employer interview usually get someone that
A) can't do the work
B) creeps everyone else out

I would like to see a group of creeps and geeks at work. In school I was sometimes made to work with people I would not normally choose, and I was surprised often enough. And the folks in the chess club were not they types to do well in an interview.

Creeps, geeks, nerds, nay-sayers and pimply fussbudgets would have added much-needed substance to many a meeting I've attended. After a diet of polished, smiley, lawyer-esque baloney, one gains an appetite for their nasal suggestions. I'd like to see a crew selected from just steps 1-3.
Chris Ball Wrote:I would like to see a group of creeps and geeks at work. In school I was sometimes made to work with people I would not normally choose, and I was surprised often enough. And the folks in the chess club were not they types to do well in an interview.

Creeps, geeks, nerds, nay-sayers and pimply fussbudgets would have added much-needed substance to many a meeting I've attended.
Not those creeps.

Chris Ball Wrote:Polished, smiley, lawyer-esque baloney
THOSE CREEPS
The people who ooze slimey car dealeresque non-personality.
shivers

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Short survey about app translation - help out my Startup Weekend team funkboy 6 4,734 Oct 2, 2011 12:20 AM
Last Post: SethWillits