Intel Mac mini

DoG
Bjoernke Wrote:You might want to check out this development journal entry of a pc game.
basically they had crashes on high end machines only, until they realised that the game runs at 300 fps and overheated the GPU's, and they didn't ran into this problem 'couse they only tested on low end hardware Grin

Luckily, macs are not thrown together by complete morons, so they won't usually overheat. Also, as any sane person would tell you, it is a good idea to cap your framerate anyway.
Quote this message in a reply
My Mac mini is on the road, but where is the road ?

[Image: macmini.jpg]

LOL LOL hoooo im sooo exited about thiisss computer LOL LOL
Danlab Wrote:My Mac mini is on the road, but where is the road ?

[Image: macmini.jpg]

LOL LOL hoooo im sooo exited about thiisss computer LOL LOL

This is how Santa makes the money for all the toys he delivers. He freelances to the couriers for extortionate fees when their ground based delivery trucks can't cope with the snow Wink

Our Mac mini is still in Hong Kong according to the TNT tracker.
the intel-mini core solo is finally arrived today

Like expected the "video card" is a big crap for games
i made some test and it look similare to the radeon 9000
the Radeon9000 is not a big crap, but making computer in 2006 with these amazing video card power is not kick ass.
sort of big step of 3 year back

nothing impressive in that pc, it work well, just got frontrow crashed the first time and it started to use 40% of the cpu

i already noticed some few things with opengl on this intel pc:
> non power of 2 texture are not workin
> i made some test with GLSL and its unusable on this machine (need to do more tests, pixelx, vertex shader... ect)
> got some probleme with my opengl 2d ortho sprite thing, its really slow
Sage
What? No rectangle textures? Ahh!

I've been assuming that all modern computers would be able to support them. I've been using them almost exclusively for my 2D stuff.

Even the old machines in the Csci lab with integrated video supports them. (at least under Linux)

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Luminary
ARB_texture_rectangle is supported by the GMA 950, at least in theory:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/mac-open...00010.html

I don't know what precise issues Dan is seeing, but QE uses rectangle textures extensively; it seems unlikely they'd be broken.
Sage
Rectangle is supported. NPOT is not. Rectangle != NPOT.
Luminary
but NPOT isn't supported anywhere on the Mac yet, so I'm assuming by "NPOT not supported", Dan meant rectangle Wink
Just got our Mac mini Core solo and I'm glad to report that Airburst Extreme plays on it at full speed (although the disk access is sluggish) and I've successfully tested ToySight Gold in 'no camera' mode (testing with camera later).

It's running pretty much as if it was a decent G3 iBook, but min spec for both games is a G3 600, so we get away with that one. The only minor issue is that fog doesn't seem to work.

So it looks like the Mac mini won't be much of a gaming machine, but there are some games that will run on it Wink and the good news is that we don't have to do UB versions of our old games and can get on with writing the new ones Smile
Zwilnik or anybody else with a new Intel iMac, can you quickly test El Ballo on it and let me know how it runs? It seems to run perfectly on my wife's new 20" Intel iMac, but now I'm wondering about the MacMini since it has an integrated video card.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
i made a test with Elballo and it work well
its just slow when loading things

i alos tested Outnumbered on the intel-mini and it work well too
Thanks Dan for testing El Ballo on the Intel MacMini. Glad to hear that it runs.

(Completely off topic... I really wish Apple makes a tablet-based laptop soon. Perhaps it can come with a drawing application that re-flows for vertical and landscape formats. It can also have an icon that displays a virtual keyboard for text entry when the keyboard is not accessible due to the laptop being closed.)

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Sage
Zwilnik Wrote:The only minor issue is that fog doesn't seem to work

What sort of fog (fixed, vertex, pixel? linear, exp?) What application?
arekkusu Wrote:What sort of fog (fixed, vertex, pixel? linear, exp?) What application?

The basic Open GL fog effect. I use it in the 2 3D games in ToySight Gold. It looks like the chip just ignores the fog and draws the background colour instead.
If either of you guys get a chance to test Slope Rider I'd be happy to hear the results. Wink