API for live streaming of OpenGL over QT

This is not for a game, but rather a volume data viewing application that I want to attempt to make web based.

On the server end I want to:

1) Read input to change viewing direction
2) Read an openGL offscreen buffer per frame
3) Compress the frame
4) Put it into a unicast stream

For the client web page I want to use an embedded Quicktime Player. Input will be done via AJAX style controls.

To do this from the server end from the ground up using Darwin Streaming Server, the Quicktime API/File Format/Compression Format and the various streaming protocols seems pretty involved and there is no clear correlation between all the various technologies to make them all work together in this manor. I guess I am looking for something easier (like an already existing API wrapped around these technologies to do this) or a really concrete example.
Quote this message in a reply
DoG
I really don't see why you would do the actual rasterizing on the server side, especially for a real-time app, as transmitting a movie stream is much more bandwidth intensive than the data you need to draw the same thing on the client side.

Apart from that, the response time would be abysmal, as you not only need to send input to the server, and send the rendered image back, but you need to do the rasterizing and compression, too. Lag lag lag, I don't think this is a good idea.
I personally don't like the idea either. It's a student position (not for a class) for doing 'research'. The department recently picked up a 16 node Xserve cluster to prep tomographic data (2d slices of 3d space). Activating the application will be done remotely by most likely a Windows workstation. The not very techy managers want it to be integrated into INquiry (who our support contract for the cluster is with) which is web based. The actual programmers want to use the cluster to 'prep' the data for an already existing application on the Windows platform or roll our own rather then doing the web method. Simply this is just to be proof of concept (which if it is unbearably slow we can change their minds). Since it is not meant to be continuously animated (only animated enough so to change viewing perspective) they are convinced it can be web based. Other things they think that will make this work are that Client and Server will always on the same network reducing network lag and the viewport will only be 512x512.