Next Contest: Mini or 21DL?

We have been talking about doing another contest here at iDevGames but we need some feedback on a few things before we can start.

1) Should we do another "Mini" contest or a "21 Days Later"?

2) About when does everybody want this contest to start ( Anytime * March 1st * Mid-March * April 1st )

3) We want some suggestions about who to contact to be a sponsor (if it's a 21DL)

( A Mini contest would last 1 to 2 weeks)

-CarbonX
Quote this message in a reply
1) I'm ready for a 3 week contest =)
2) maybe around Spring Break, so all the school kiddies could have at least 1 week?
3) Perhaps REAL Software? Maybe not, but *shrug* it's an idea
ss2 cire Wrote:2) maybe around Spring Break, so all the school kiddies could have at least 1 week?
Not everyone has spring break at the same time, Tobi has his now and it isn't even spring, I was in the same situation back when I was in college too, 3 feet of snow on the ground everyday for "spring break", WTF?!?!

21 Days later is very very played out, I mean its a play off of 28 days later and that movie is like so 2002. Time to show some originality.
Mac Game March Madness., April Tools..Jiggy Jeux July, Summer of Loving Games, uDevASeriousCaseOfInsomnia, Hope-the-server-don't-crash-Halloween.
I dunno, just throwing around silly ideas.

It would very beneficial for everyone if these contests were consistant and not so spotty, set up a schedule that a contest will be held every X months, and it will be of contest type Z. That way people can plan for this stuff in advance, you know like "my schedule for the next three weeks blows, so i'll do a little bit of dev here, a little bit there, and slam that September contest!"

I still like the "theme" idea, but with advanced warnings and a schedule of themes, devs could pick and choose where best to put their effort. Lets say there was a racing game theme last February(which there was), and on the schedule it said "zombies" for June, I would have totally skipped racing game (and not won Smile ) because I hate them, and shot for the zombie one because thats what I really want to make. Just as an example, of course.

Anyway don't plan these things two weeks before they start, its really bad form.
Set an example, get organized,
Quote:uDevASeriousCaseOfInsomnia

That was the code name I used privately for uDG '04 Rasp

Anyway, I'm in favor of long contests, mainly because I would like to try something "hard" to make, and not end up with an average, unoriginal game due to dropping features to make the deadline.
PowerMacX Wrote:I'm in favor of long contests.

How about having a year or six month long contest that runs in the background?

A contest of this length would allow for some serious entries to be produced plus the freedom to also have a life at the same time.
I've voted for a 21 Days Later contest, but I'll throw in my support for longer contests, as being at uni means I can't really dedicate time to working non-stop on a shorter contest, whereas it is pretty easy to dip in, dip out on a longer project...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Mini contests are worthless. 24 hours, 48 hours, a week, whatever. It's no fun to be working with such a strict deadline. Three weeks or a month is a much better time frame.

I vote for April 1st, as I'm busy right now and will likely be busy in March. And I'm selfish.

And I vote for zombies as a theme because zombies rock.

EDIT:

Quote:How about having a year or six month long contest that runs in the background?

A contest of this length would allow for some serious entries to be produced plus the freedom to also have a life at the same time.

That would rock hard.
Sage
Andrew Sage Wrote:How about having a year or six month long contest that runs in the background?

I think that's a really good idea. Having that long would allow people to work around their lives (classes, exams, work related deadlines, etc) and still have a few times here or there to really code. I also would like this because I can do mini contest games but a longer deadline would require more attention to small things like menus and other such things, IMO.

I think that we should start a six month background contest sometime in May. That way it gives people plenty of time to decide whether they want to do it, decide on themes, and will be just after all the college exams (which I know affect many people here). Just my opinion.

However I did vote for 21DL because between that and mini contests, I'd rather have a little bit of time to come up with something.
Whatever it ends up being, I'll definitely participate this time. I'd prefer longer over shorter, so 21 Days gets my vote.
It would be nice to have a 1, 2, or maybe even 3 month contest over summer, that way those of us in school have a lot of time to finish such a project. Also, I'm hoping to finish my current project by summer, which will be the building blocks for my future projects, so hopefully it would be the first contest I could participate in. Rasp (I certainly like the name uDevASeriousCaseOfInsomnia, though LOL)
I will summarize what I would have said had I written this "normally," because people have already said most of this.
1. 3 weeks or more is great, I need to get my creative juices flowing
2. Zombies is a great theme, or any other character-based theme such as reptiles, or a setting-based theme such as "under the refrigerator." (Come to think of it, that would be kinda cool, because who knows, maybe there's a secret passage under my refrigerator!)
3. When was uDev going to be?
4. The contest schedule needs to be more predictable.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
DoG
diordna Wrote:2. Zombies is a great theme, or any other character-based theme such as ...

NO, it must be ZOMBIES.. They don't compare. That's just the way it is.

On another note, I am not so convinced about the length of the contest. Short contests are great from a brain storming and ideas aspect, while longer ones could be expected to sport perfect art and gameplay. But, with the longer ones, you tend to burn out if you keep at it, and real life tends to get in the way, too.

I wonder if a tiered contest would be possible, where it is divided into different phases. 1. idea 2. proof of concept/gameplay. 3. art 4. overall, with each phase given some time, and at the end of each phase teams should be forced to switch projects, eg. take on somebody elses idea and make a prototype, then do somebody else's art, and do the polish for something else in the end. Though I am not sure if that is feasible, it sounds like fun to me.
But then what happens when a new person enters with the idea of a zombie mmorpg? Would we have to do a proof of concept and art for it?

Otherwise, I like that idea.
socksy Wrote:But then what happens when a new person enters with the idea of a zombie mmorpg?

that would be a really wierd game.....
personally i believe 20 days is the ideal time for a contest.

6 months-1 year might be for a major project you really want to complete-a big game you want to sell, dont think it makes sense for a contest.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,196 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 20,989 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 14,892 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,797 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  Mini Contest Ideas FlamingHairball 34 21,914 Aug 1, 2009 07:51 AM
Last Post: Oddity007