Spy Vs. Spy

Well, the characters from Spy vs. Spy are copyrighted, so as MattDiamond said "have characters that are evocative of the original without being copies".

Like... say... this. Rasp

Of course, then you may run into different legal problems. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
Kudos for contacting the devs of the Spy vs. Spy game, very smart move.
They even mentioned interest in paying you should you develop something worth the money. Thats a foot in the door!

Run with it in the direction they mentioned, think up a whole new angle for the gameplay and you may have yourself a career!!!

Here's a concept, Journalist Vs. Tyrannical Spying Regime,
Your main character is a journalist trying to uncover and expose
the truth about human torture, vote fraud, bribery and fabricated intelligence justifying an illegal war while outwitting the spies sent to bug his phones
and pilfer through his possessions without a warrant, guess who your adversary is? Just read news from the US for source material.
mic79
Unregistered

Hi Dave,

I would love to see how your Spy vs Spy remake/clone is going, do you have something playable already?

Can you contact me please?

Cheers,
michiel
Sage
Id love to see how its going as well, but its definitly not playable seeing as its being made for a screensaver competition.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
DaveN
Unregistered

Because of the answer I got a littlebit demotivated ( if that word exists in english.. ) and I couldn't work on it since the 26.2 because of multiple reasons, like school, my band etc.

But the basic gameplay is already done, you can walk around, set traps, get the case, all the other secret things, etc.

The game for the screensaver comp was too hard to make, I stopped because I didn't got enough time and because I didn't got a good idea how to code the AI..

The last things that would need to be done, would be a map, some more levels, the fighting engine when two players enter the same room, and an AI, but the most fun is playing this game with a good friend Wink. And for sure the graphics would have need to be changed, at the moment they're just with the original Spy Vs. Spy things inside..

Maybe there's someone who could help me with the graphics? I could also post a demo online, but I don't know how it would work with the copyright thingy..

mfg Dave

Edit: Oh, and I don't really wan't to change anythign about the main gameplay, because I did that remake, to play the original game on the comp or on the I-Net and so I would like to make it as close as possible..
mic79
Unregistered

I'd like to help you with the graphics for sure, I'm a (graphic) designer.

I think you shouldn't worry about the copyrights too much since you're not planning to make any money with it. Like you said you just wanted to be able to play this game against other people.

This is precisely my wish too and I was also thinking if it maybe would be possible to play against each other using Application Sharing, with the application being a C64 emulator. Does anyone know if that would work?

In my opinion I'd say forget about the AI programming, sounds like a lot of work and all that's important is to be able to play against other humans. Do you have multiplayer over internet working already for your Flash game?

By the way, i already tried to email you, but my mail probably ended up in your junkmailbox or something. Could you contact me please?
DaveN
Unregistered

So, here's a small demo uploaded, if you're using Firefox, it really slows down the game..

At first, you just need to press Enter all the time to get into the game ( if you change on of the settings in the main menu it wouldn't work.. ), then use the arrow keys, M ( use/ search the things ) and N ( select traps ) to control. But as I said, this file is from the 26.2 and I didn't work too long on it..

Oh, I was too lazy to design the whole level, you can't enter the room on the top-right corner, it will make you stuck. And by now, there is just a small trace-message if you die or if you win the game, but that's really easy to change, I just don't know yet how I should make that ( small movie, jsut a win picture etc. ) And also, for a second player, I just would need to copy the mc that's used for controlling player 1 and then change all the pl1's into pl2 Smile

Please give me some feedback here Wink

http://home.pages.at/davenaegeli/spyvsspy.html

Oh and online-flash multiplayer would be something new to learn for me, but I think it should be possible, I just would need to work a little bit more on the game.
mic79
Unregistered

That looks like a good start!

By the way: on my computer it seems to run just as well on IE as Firefox..
What I don't understand is that you mentioned there would be a trace-message if I'd die or win the game, but the game doesn't seem to be working that well yet. I can't place traps, so I can't die. And I cannot collect the items, so I can't win either...

Am I doing something wrong?
DaveN
Unregistered

The trace message is just going to show up, if you play it in flash debug mode. And to choose the trap, just press "N" until you found the correct trap, press "M" to select it, then walk to the target and press "M" again to set it. Your spy should giggle if you done it correct. And the items should be possible to collect, what exactly do you mean with that? You can go to the objects in the room and press "M" to search them. If there's something inside, the spy would carry it. If you then select another trap, or open another object, the thing your spy is carrying should get hidden in the room, just like in the original game.
And to carry more than one item, you need the briefcase..

But let me know if there are any else bugs..

mfg Dave
mic79
Unregistered

Aaah, I did notice the giggling, but then when I select that booby-trapped target again, nothing happens, so how would it be possible to die?

In the original game when an item is in your possession, it would blink, therefor I wasn't sure in your game if I had the items in my possession or not.

I found a little error in the right-bottom room, when trying to open the little white box on the left wall, it puts you in the other room, as if opening the door. So I guess this sensitive area is a bit too big. (with some other doors too)

One good feature from Spy vs Spy was that when you get in a position where it's possible to trigger something, then the screen would flash/blink shortly. And instead of the giggling when a trap has been set, they used a few bleeping sounds.

Do you have any idea how you could create that gun-trigger trap? Seems kinda more difficult to me to script.

All in all I'm pretty pleased to see this first demo, it does make me hungry for more though Wow
DaveN
Unregistered

The trigger for dying is getting activated when you try to interact with the object, it just doesn't do anything at the moment.
I'm just thinking about how I should use the multiple traps. Since there were around 5 different verions of "Spy Vs. Spy", I don't exactly know, which traps I should use. In the Sms-Version ( from which I took the sprites ) the gun does exactly the same thing as the bomb, you can place it at the same places etc.
And because it would be necessary to change the menu at the right of the screen, I didn't used that for anything than just showing which item you've got.
The one with making it blink or play sound is really easy to make. And thanks for the thing with the sensitive area, I'm going to change that soon.

So, like I already said, I've built the basic engine, and now I'm thinking about what I should put in there exactly, suggestions please Wink

mfg Dave
mic79
Unregistered

Personally I prefer the gfx and item usage from the first Spy vs Spy on the C64.

I'm also curious what other people think about it...