Priorities, dropping things you like, but don't love, etc.

Thanks for all the kind replies.

The first two days have been odd. I think I was addicted to technology. I get home and go straight to my mac, I wake up and go straight to my mac. Only now it takes me 5-10min instead of an hour.

I actually don't know what to do with myself.

It's going to take a while to figure out how to reorganize myself to be productive in these holes I've created in my schedule. But it's exciting. I no longer "have no extra time."

funkboy: I'm a music major. My core courses are performance-oriented, as oppose to your most demanding engineering classes. The increased demands for me are in performance as oppose to academics. It's not very difficult to pull off a B+ in an arts/humanities course at university. It *should* be, I'll admit, but it isn't.

I'll admit that the hardest one so far has been taking iDG "new posts" off my bookmarks. I kept this thread bookmarked, though. I'll post for a few more days and leave it.

Ok. My newfound determination has gotten me up at 6:00AM to go jogging, and I must get going. Again, thanks for the supportive words - it helps to know that you haven't entirely lost your mind. Cheers.
Quote this message in a reply
I don't have a lot to say except I know exactly how you're feeling and I've gone through this same thing multiple times since I left home. Smile Any time I get to the point where I feel like I'm spinning my wheels, it's time to readjust my priorities. My wife gets very high priority of course. Last time I went back and realized I was wasting too damned much time on forums and email, so I cut myself out of about 15 mailing lists, archived about 80% of my email, and removed about half my forums and comics from my "view daily" bookmark group. That helped a lot unless I stop to reply like this. Wink

I've also been forcing myself to stay away from the computer at home more. It prevents me from pursuing some of my hobbies I enjoy, but it makes me a lot happier because my eyes and hands get a rest after work, and I have time to do things like read, do art, hike and bike, etc, again.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
Yeah, this thread has inspired me to stop checking all my bookmarks every day, once a week is fine. Programming is my hobby, not my life. Though, I tend to obsess about something, then realize I'm not doing something anymore then I obsess about that. But yeah, i think I'll stop that now.
Now back to forgetting about everything and watching the olympics Grin
What? They're only on every 4 years.....
Nearly one month later:

It's hard.

I've stopped checking all my links and I really don't miss them. I read half a book and practised more. I went to a concert.

The problem is it seems that I can fill up my time doing more internet junk. It's like cleaning your room - you take garbage bags of junk out, only to fill it up again.

Still, first month was definitely more productive than before. List-making helps. I really recommend this.

But the hardest has been not checking iDG Wink Only 3 visits since last post, but no replies! *phew* Happy spring!
It's good that you're cutting down - but if you really like iDG, maybe just read it and don't post?

And I'm confused about the cleaning your room analogy...you're doing more internet junk again, or getting away from it?

Keep up the good work!

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
funkboy Wrote:It's good that you're cutting down - but if you really like iDG, maybe just read it and don't post?
But with these questions you're asking, you're practically forcing him to post! Wink
I say cut down on things you can't improve, like TV. If you can continually make the activity more efficient (like cooking), keep at it.

On another note, I must love doing this. I came back.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Well the point is it's a curve. I'm spending less and less time playing around on my computer and more and more time doing actual work.

Think of it like civilization. Different governments have different levels of corruption. Different schedules have different levels of waste.
I've been only barely keeping up with iDG stuff lately because I have been getting involved in so many things. I did not even know all this was going on. I can relate on every level, and have done things like this many times. Even recently I debate over what I need to give up next.
Over 6 months later:

Hi all! I drop in occasionally, mostly just to check out new screenshots of TomorrowXPlus' engine. That guy amazes me.

So the summer is over, and I decided that it was time to re-evaluate. The Spring semester was excellent - I cut way back and focused on things I liked. My life became less complicated, and very routine-oriented. I liked that *a lot*. This past summer I've worked my ass off earning money to reduce the loan amounts for this year, but what went with that was routine. My first 2 days back at Rice and I'm discovering that I'm spending as much time on my mac as I used to. When you know about an iBook battery recall within 10 minutes of the info being leaked, that should suffice as a wakeup call.

So, off to do it again. Long story short, it worked well last semester, and I think I've just let myself slide. Cutting down TV/mac time isn't that hard when you set yourself to it, especially when you fill the time with other activities.

Apologies for hijacking this thread as more of a progress diary. I read that first post about once a month to keep me focused, and I thought I'd check in.

Hope everyone's doing well. Carlos, congrats on your move and best of luck back in North America. If you're down in Houston or, alternatively, up in Montreal, I'll take you out for a beer.

-Aaron
Great to hear from you again, Blobbo.

I find it intriguing that, from what you describe, at the drop of a hat you were back to your 'old' ways of constant computer. I liken it to being addicted to a drug (alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drug), dropping it, but being able to be enchanted back to it right away, even after months of being straight/sober. It's... scary.

I have always thought internet, and maybe computer, addiction was something real, and after your story I think it exists. I think many people suffer from it... and that's probably not necessarily a bad thing, but it should be something we recognize.

-----
I have started working a full-time job, and when I get back from being on the computer plenty I don't always feel like doing more computer work... but I surprisingly want to do it after not too long. I use Windows at work and my Mac at home, and it makes my Mac seem so much more user friendly.

But when all day is spent on a computer, the computer does genuinely look less desirable. It knocks life back into perspective - not all of life should be spent on the computer. Cultivate other interests. Life goes by way too fast to spend the majority of it online.

This has been a very random post, but I think more research should be put into how people's time is spent online, and if it is causing real problems. I suspect there are problems on a level of gambling addiction in some people.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
I have to agree with you Funkboy, on both of your post parts. Smile I think for me the problem is that once I stop spending so much time on the computer, I have to find other "real" things to do, and they seem like work in comparison. So I end up drifting back to the computer little by little, and before I know it I'm back where I was. I'm not sure it's totally a traditional addiction just because I have no problem going without any sort of computer or internet access for weeks at a time on a vacation or whatever. I have no serious problems with the idea of pretty much giving up computer and internet usage for the most part (besides using it to do real work). I think I almost have to have it taken away from me to avoid using it as a a crutch though, to force me to get all the way into some other activities. It's kinda like TV that way really...

I think the solution is probably the same as the analogous situation in money - set a budget. "I get X number of hours of computer usage each day/night." If you run out, you find something else to do even if it's just sitting there staring at the wall. Eventually it'll probably work out Smile

(I've got another inspiration myself these days: my eyes are giving out on me for staring at screens all day...)

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
I don't even HAVE a TV.
A prefer my 21" WACOM Cintiq Drawing-screen.

Mac games free download: http://www.zhanggames.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I love Parallax Scrolling Carlos Camacho 3 3,211 Aug 2, 2009 07:18 PM
Last Post: longjumper
  If you love 2d retro games Carlos Camacho 7 4,382 Mar 5, 2009 02:37 PM
Last Post: kiwiMark