Hi, I am really interested in starting to make games for fun.

jdmmade
Unregistered

Hello, everyone... I was thinking about trying to learn how to begin game making just as a accomplishment for myself.... and i was wondering if i could get some help on where to begin. I am completely new and I have no knowledge on how to make a game but i have an idea of it..... I have powerful tools. I own Xcode and I own Poser 6. Please help me begin I really need some advice on where i can learn and get materials to master this art.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
How much programming experience do you have? That's the real question. Obviously, games need artists and designers, but somebody needs to program them.

If you don't have too much programming experience, look into Unity ( otee.dk ) or dim3. If you have some programming experience, purchase one of the many OpenGL programming books and get hacking.

And, most importantly, start small and be patient!
Quote: I have no knowledge on how to make a game
The most important thing to make a game is programming, the rest is optional.

You will probably have to learn to program.

I suggest you start with TNT Basic, it's free and all the cool guys started with it Wink

http://tntbasic.com/

Try to get a ball moving on the screen according to the arrow keys (it's just like 8 lines of code!), from there it's just downwards Smile

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:The most important thing to make a game is programming, the rest is optional.

You will probably have to learn to program.

I suggest you start with TNT Basic, it's free and all the cool guys started with it Wink

http://tntbasic.com/

Try to get a ball moving on the screen according to the arrow keys (it's just like 8 lines of code!), from there it's just downwards Smile

It's true, all the cool people start with TNT basic. Actually I (being cool) started with Hypercard, but that doesn't really exist anymore Sad
Apprentice
As numerous people have already pointed out, being able to program capably is the most important part of making a game.

If you intend to use Xcode to write games with then you're going to have to learn a programming language like C and numerous APIs such as OpenGL and OpenAL for graphics and audio. This is all fine and dandy if you're a reasonably seasoned programmer, but if not then you're gonna spend a long time learning to program before you see any results as far as game dev is concerned.

One alternative is to use a premade engine that takes care of all the complicated details such as rendering, sound and object management so you can focus solely on developing the game itself. This path will give you much faster results, and sounds like the better option in your case. Some of the better (or maybe just better known :-p) options are as follows:

Unity (http://otee.dk) is reasonably advanced and will allow you to develop some pretty cool games, although it has a fairly hefty price tag attached to it.

TNT Basic (http://www.tntbasic.com) is free, however it will only allow you to develop fairly basic 2D games. It's still a good starting point though; as Najdorf says quite a few people here have used it at some point in the past.

BlitzMax (http://www.blitzmax.com/Products/blitzmax.php) is sort of designed for 2D, however since it fully supports OpenGL you are quite capable of going all-out and making the next 3D masterpiece if you feel so inclined :-) At USD$80 it's not too expensive, either.

All three are either free or have free demos available, so check 'em out and tell us what you decide. TNT Basic isn't a bad place to start, it gives you plenty of room to play around and you won't lose any money should you decide game development isn't for you.

Have fun :-)

EDIT:
I forgot to mention something: don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy anything. All too often I see people saying "go buy a book", which is strange 'cause when you're just starting out you really have no idea whether or not you want to sink a hundred dollars into reference material - especially when it's all available for free right here on the internet! Not to say you *shouldn't* purchase books and tools, but always do your research first. You'll usually find a free alternative of at least equivalent quality floating around somewhere on the web :-)
You may also want to check out Dim3 and Torque if you want to go the route described above and you want to make a 3D game. (Torque also has a 2D game engine, though)

If you want to create games from scratch, you will first need to be able to program in at least 1 major language, but I recommend knowing at least C and C++, and ObjectiveC if you want to program for the Mac. Also, you will need to know a graphics API, in which case I recommend OpenGL. It would also be useful to learn an audio API, and I recommend OpenAL for that. It's very similar to OpenGL, and you can literally figure it out in a half an hour if you know OpenGL.

With regards to books, sure you can find the information online. However, if you buy a book, you know you have pretty much all the information you need right in front of you, and all you need to do is turn the page. If you look online, it is often in pieces scattered around the web, and you have to look up the individual pieces. I prefer to buy a book, since that way I only need to look through the index to find what I want, and not through a listing on Google.
SOUCHAN Wrote:I forgot to mention something: don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy anything. All too often I see people saying "go buy a book", which is strange 'cause when you're just starting out you really have no idea whether or not you want to sink a hundred dollars into reference material

Well, it plays on the "I've got too much invested in this to bail now..." factor. Wink
Apprentice
PowerMacX Wrote:Well, it plays on the "I've got too much invested in this to bail now..." factor. Wink
Heh, fair point then :-p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to make non-games, games... duncan_m 3 3,732 Apr 13, 2012 01:52 AM
Last Post: duncan_m
  Beginner Interested in Game Programming ThePenguin 17 7,554 Aug 31, 2003 06:40 PM
Last Post: mars