Mac gaming scene

With the number of mac users growing, do you see mac gaming growing ?
Do you see AAA games being made (as opposed to ported) for mac any time in the future?
When will mac games get some attention? As it stands now, the only gaming website that cover mac gaming are Mac centric gaming websites.

Will make gaming ever enter the main stream, or will we forever be "that other platform that you can port your games to" ?
Quote this message in a reply
More users means more market, so yeah, there will be more Mac gaming if that happens.

AAA games will likely never be created solely for the Mac.

Mac gaming already gets its fair 5% of the gaming attention out there as I see it.

ferum Wrote:Will make gaming ever enter the main stream, or will we forever be "that other platform that you can port your games to" ?
One word: Xbox
DoG
I can see a lot more games coming to mac because of the Intel switch. Most games lead multiple lives as console and PC titles anyway, so another API to support is not that big a deal, and the core optimisations can be kept. No more shitty ports, hopefully.
Founder
>I can see a lot more games coming to mac because of the Intel switch.
Can you also see a lot more "badly made" shareware games as well? Wink

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
DoG Wrote:I can see a lot more games coming to mac because of the Intel switch. Most games lead multiple lives as console and PC titles anyway, so another API to support is not that big a deal, and the core optimisations can be kept. No more shitty ports, hopefully.

The problem is, I can see most of them being fairly average PC ports.
Great time to break into the Universal scene,as people want games to play on their new Intel machines.

Alex
yea, I think so. Now that macs have inels and half decent graphics cards, people will be more willing to write games for them.

On a side not, just look at stubs the zombie. That's a AAA game, and it was released for mac at the same time as the windows version.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Luminary
My personal pick is that Stubbs being a simultaneous release has much more to do with Alexander Seropian being in charge of it than anything else...

The Radeon X1600 in the iMacs is a definite bonus, but aside from the tail end of the Rage 128 days, Macs have never been *so* far behind on video cards for it to be a reason not to port.

In general, I don't think the Intel transition will affect anything. For most games, a simultaneous release will be no easier than it would have been. Ports may get easier, but that'll be offset by the fact that playing the original Windows versions will be easier.

What may happen is that the Intel transition will bring Macs more into the limelight for previously uninterested programmers and companies. That might be enough to bring a few more games over.