Compiled vertex array problem

I recently picked up an old Radeon 7000 for testing purposes and found it exhibits depth fighting/clipping problems, especially with multi-pass surfaces. After a bit of tinkering with the depth buffer and transform hints I finally discovered compiled vertex arrays were to blame...

The 7000 doesn't have hardware transform, so compiled arrays aren't going to help it much anyway, but I didn't expect them to break things either. Now, I can work around this easily enough but I was wondering if I can expect the same problem on other cards that lack hardware transforms - e.g. Rage 128's - I think all other Mac OS X compatible cards have hardware T&L and should be OK, but any insight would be appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
Are you entirely sure that you are not modifying the data between Lock and Unlock calls? If so, you should write a small test case and file a bug with Apple.

Otherwise, I _very strongly suggest_ you forget that Compiled Vertex Arrays ever existed. Vertex buffer objects are superior in every respect, and are, by far, the most future proof-way to submit vertices.

VBOs are supported on every OpenGL renderer on OS X 10.4, including those without HW TCL.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Particle Vertex Array bonanza 9 4,661 Jun 27, 2008 07:46 AM
Last Post: bonanza
  Vertex Array & Interleaved Array troubles TomorrowPlusX 5 5,595 Nov 17, 2007 09:59 AM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX
  Vertex Array Range bonanza 3 3,908 Jun 19, 2007 12:42 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Quad Vertex Array Woes WakingJohn 1 2,424 Apr 9, 2005 07:55 PM
Last Post: WakingJohn
  vertex array optimization reubert 1 2,813 Aug 27, 2004 03:05 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie