Isometric people

I started back at school on monday and my first graphic design project is to design a space station isometrically. I've been playing around with photoshop ever since i was 12 and so i got started with my space station, i was going for a retro isometric jetsons sort of look and after a few tedious hours in photoshop i came up with this:

[img]http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20User%20Uploads/skrew's%20Uploads/cloud%20nine%20copy.jpg[/img]

anyway after staring at it for a while ive decided to make it into a space station cafe. I think ill be ok making the furniture and the bar and such, i just dont really know a good way to be going about drawing the people.

i know illustrator would have been a better choice for this kind of project, but i dont own a copy and i dont have a few k lying around for one.

I also know this doesnt have much to do with programming, but ive always wanted to make an isometric SRPG after playing Tactics Ogre and since my coding skills are still in development I may aswell start with the art Rasp
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
Are you using "snap to grid?" I ask because some of the gaps between the tiles, and under the tiles are different. Usually with isometric tiles, there are no gaps, and all edges touch.

There are some nice isometric tutorials floating around. Some time ago, I started to render various hallways in isometric view.. A bit like the tiles you see in Diablo.

I wonder if we have enough artists (would-be artists) to have a small iso-metric tile/sprite contest. i.e. we make a template file, and ask people to submit various tiles/sprites. The community would be free to use them.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I think that would be an awesome idea, thats probably a contest i could enter aswell.

Those tiles are essentially place holder ones, i just made one and copied it 4 times, coloured it, and pasted it about 40 times and placed them by hand. I wasnt using snap to grid, simply because im not too confident with the grid system in PS6
skrew Wrote:I think ill be ok making the furniture and the bar and such, i just dont really know a good way to be going about drawing the people.
If you can get a hold of a copy of Poser, that'd do the trick right there pretty easily.
zKing
Unregistered

I'd suggest getting a figure drawing book or find some related web sites. Start out just trying to get the proportions right. Don't expect your first attempts to come out pretty. You're gonna have to practice a bit to make some that look right. The human eye is really good at knowing what the human form is supposed to look like and is really good at seeing flaws.

The iso view is also going to mess with you... with the 2:1 you can just squish your verticle measurements in half, but it may not look right if what you draw doesn't look like its viewed from 45deg from above.

For smaller images like this, I'd also suggest drawing them larger than you need (like 2-4 times) and then scaling them down and pasting them in or else you're going to be fighting pixel boundries while trying to get proportions and some details right... that'll cause problems.

To make it easier on yourself: Do robots and/or people in bulky spacesuits. Once you get one person that looks ok, you can also copy the same person and just re-color their clothes, change their hair, maybe adjust their arms/legs, etc.
How important is having recognisable people in the environment? If the environment is more important than the inhabitants than take a cue from architects and put in stylized blobs/shapes of people instead of acturate people. Fisher price style people if need be (Meaning: sphere heads and cylinder bodies.)

Another option would be to find real images of people from the net that are roughly in the orination you want and vertically un-exaggerate them so that they look somewhat ok in the environment.
Just one thing that's bothering me: The "Welcome To" text is canted. The vertical lines in the letters should all be true vertical lines.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
kelvin Wrote:Just one thing that's bothering me: The "Welcome To" text is canted. The vertical lines in the letters should all be true vertical lines.

I just rasterized it and distorted it so that it fit into the isometric rectangle for it, it does look a bit off, but that was really just s draft im redoing it all except the tube
Well after working at it for a few hours i completely redesigned it, im pretty happy with it.

[img]http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20User%20Uploads/skrew's%20Uploads/cloud%20nine%20royal%20VIP.jpg[/img]

the bottom area is a sort of VIP deal... before I neoned it out.

[img]http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20User%20Uploads/skrew's%20Uploads/cloud%20nine%20neon%20vip.jpg[/img]

I'm having way, way too much fun messing with this project. I can barely beleive its for school anymore.

The only thing its missing now, are the VIP lounges and strippers. Rasp

Im also welcoming any criticism as i don't get anything constructive from school.

Also I checked out the design brief and im not required to have any occupants, and i think adding them would be getting way off the topic of an isometric space station if havent gone far enough already Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  BYOND Isometric DMdude 0 1,993 Dec 29, 2009 10:11 PM
Last Post: DMdude
  Isometric tile question swiftd 3 3,181 Aug 19, 2009 05:25 AM
Last Post: swiftd
  OpenGL Isometric Tile Engine Stalin55 17 14,877 Aug 16, 2006 02:29 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Corrupted FBO, can people download my app and tell me if it breaks for you? TomorrowPlusX 22 7,158 Aug 3, 2006 03:46 PM
Last Post: Duane