Collision Detection between 2 circles

cheatdeath
Unregistered

I'm working on a new game, it allows 2 players to move rackets around inside a ring and hit a ball. If the ball hits a wall twice before the next players turn you lose, etc.
How would I go about doing the collision between the ball and the court.

[Image: plutocollision.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
I dont know how you would do It but I would do:

the small ball is A
the large ball is B

[SOURCECODE]
xd = A.x-B.x;
yd = A.y-B.y;

xd *= xd;
yd *= yd;

if(xd+yd >= (B.r - A.r)^2)
collision
[/SOURCECODE]

then for collision response,

[SOURCECODE]
dst = sqrt(xd*xd+yd*yd);

xd /= dst;
yd /= dst;

vel = sqrt(A.velocity.x*A.velocity.x + A.velocity.y*A.velocity.y);

A.velocity.x = xd*vel;
A.velocity.y = yd*vel;
[/SOURCECODE]

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
cheatdeath
Unregistered

I think i'm actually looking for handling the collision rather than just detecting it. Thank a million anyway.
Sage
thats both...

cheatdeath
Unregistered

Somethings wrong, the ball only bounces when the velocity or coords are negative.

Meaning it only bounces when its in the bottom left quadrant, the center is (0,0).
Sage
I think line 1 of the second source code should be
dst = sqrt(xd+yd);

and printf each time a collision occurs, make sure its only happening once per frame (event though that makes no difference here)

Quote:I think line 1 of the second source code should be
dst = sqrt(xd+yd);
I believe the author squared both sides of the equation in order to avoid a square-root operation. (I suspect the bug is in the collision response code.)

Some comments about collision detection and response.

1 - A safety check you can add to the collision detection is to check that the ball's velocity is towards the wall in question. If it's already moving away from the wall then don't collide it. That way, if it doesn't move far enough in that frame to no-longer intersect the wall, the hit won't be detected again in the next frame.

1b - Alternately, you can try to guarantee that it won't intersect the wall again in the code that responds to the collision. One method is to compute where the intersection actually took place and "back up" the ball to that point. This could be done mathematically for simple geometry, or it can be done iteratively (move the ball back and forth in decreasing increments until it's right up against the wall without intersecting it.)

1c. If the geometry is simple you can take this a step further and mathematically compute where the next collision will be, rather than detecting a collision that has already happened. That's how my old game 3D Brick Bash worked. It has an advantage in that a slow frame rate will not cause objects to pass through each other.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Sage
Assuming you have this working now bear in mind the ball will be moving directly towards the center of the circle, the what you need to do is reflect to velocity around the normal (xd, yd).
A good explanation of the maths of that is here:
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/ge...reflected/

1 this is not required because even if something is moving away you still want to check for collisions.

1b if you do move an object directly this is like creating or destroying energy which is impossible and will lead to an unstable situation, you should subdivide the timestep to find the exact time of collision and perform the response calculations at that instance.

Funny. Looks a lot like this: http://idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10427

Hope you have more success than I did.
if you just want to know if 2 circles intersect can't you just go like so:

Code:
bool BallHitsRing(float x, float y, float r, float ringRadius)
{
    return x * x + y * y + r > ringRadius;
}
(assuming your ring center is at {0, 0})

Also, the ball should bounce off the ring's tanget line at the point of impact. The angle the ball's path makes with the line from the center of the ring to the point of impact should be the same on either side (if you follow me).
unknown Wrote:1 this is not required because even if something is moving away you still want to check for collisions.
If you've allowed the object to enter the wall, then you do not want to detect in the next frame that the ball is still inside the wall (if it still is) and reflect the velocity vector again. One way or another you have to let the ball leave the wall again.
Quote:1b if you do move an object directly this is like creating or destroying energy which is impossible and will lead to an unstable situation, you should subdivide the timestep to find the exact time of collision and perform the response calculations at that instance.
That's pretty much what I describe in 1b, but I didn't explicitly mention that the time of collision also needs to be moved forward and backwards along with the position- my bad. (There's nothing unstable about what I described though. This is a simple function for calculating the ball's next position, nothing more.)

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Optimize the collision detection alaslipknot 1 2,484 May 12, 2013 08:02 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Collision detection tutorial ThemsAllTook 7 22,245 Nov 5, 2011 05:20 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Help with Collision Detection..(i'm almost there) carmine 1 4,507 Jun 29, 2011 12:33 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Time Delta, collision detection mk12 19 15,209 Sep 8, 2010 06:40 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Collision detection for pinball game johncmurphy 0 4,658 Sep 6, 2009 02:46 PM
Last Post: johncmurphy