Free, Portable Graphics loading library/Header

Jones
Unregistered

I'm just looking for a free, non-os dependant graphics loading library. (IE: picture loading) for C.

Loads of features are not required, as long as it loads bitmaps files in a fashion that reduces the amount of code cluttering up my main file.

For example, a function that'll handle all the file commands.

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
How about devIL http://openil.sourceforge.net/
I've just packaged up a statically linked version for ogre http://will.thimbleby.net/ogre/, devIL does rely on a lot of other things so it might be tedious to use elsewhere
Jones
Unregistered

Oh wow, thanks!

I didn't even think anything like this really existed. You know, frameworks/functions for lazy people like me who don't really want to do anything themselves. Rasp

So, by "it relies on a lot of things", do you mean that it requires loads of other libraries that may or may not be mac os x/windows compatible?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Ogre (the version you packaged up) still seems to have a few problems, would using the parts that work fine cause errors resulting from the parts of it that don't work yet? (Might be a stupid question...)
Jones Wrote:So, by "it relies on a lot of things", do you mean that it requires loads of other libraries that may or may not be mac os x/windows compatible?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Ogre (the version you packaged up) still seems to have a few problems, would using the parts that work fine cause errors resulting from the parts of it that don't work yet? (Might be a stupid question...)
I meant that it relies on several external libs, these are all cross platform, they just might be a bit of a pain to include on windows (I don't know). But devIL includes windows distributions, so it should work fine.

The Ogre version needs to be included inside the app in a copy files build phase. Other than that it should work without a problem. Or you can just get the source and compile it yourself.
Jones
Unregistered

Excuse my kinda newbish questions, but by:

Quote:The Ogre version needs to be included inside the app in a copy files build phase

I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean. I know there are different build phases, and I think they can be modified under the "Target settings" panel in xCode, but in reality I've never had to deal with anything like that.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.
It's not too difficult to work with certain free libraries themselves. libpng and libjpeg are fairly simple to use for reading and don't require too much work to compile. All other solutions will require these two libraries to be present anyway so it may be just as well that you have a gander at working with them directly. A thought.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  portable FBO code unknown 5 3,583 Dec 7, 2006 11:18 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Building a simple 2D graphics library in SDL jab630 37 17,017 Apr 28, 2006 04:23 PM
Last Post: Zekaric