Cheat Codes

So when working on my latest project I had a bunch of flags inside that I could set on and off to test content and the such. I was thinking I could link them to user input and make them into cheat codes.

I was wondering what everyones opinion on cheat codes are? Do they take away from the game? Do they add content time after you have played it out? Should cheat codes be published in the manuals/website or let users discover them?

Looking forward to some great opinions, thanks as always.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Quote this message in a reply
Well-done cheats/hidden features can add a lot to the game.
I agree - cheats are cool.. Hidden or published doesn't matter. You just can't go wrong any time you let your users mess with the guy behind the curtain a little. It's a good thing!
Good use of cheats can extend the life of your game. A good example of this would be from goldeneye. Each cheat had to be earned by completing special tasks in the game, thus lengthening the playtime. In my opinion, cheats should only be unlocked after the player has completed a substantial amount of the quest. That way it doesn't detract from the play experience but does add to the overall package when they finish. And depending on the game, cheats can be very imaginative too.
Cheats rock, there are some games that story wise are great to go through, but re-play wise are annoying.

Take Jazz JackRabbit for example, my daughter at the age of 3 and 4 can only get so far before the game is just too damn hard, but give her unlimited ammo, and invincibility and she's just jumping around blasting things for hours. Now that she can read, she is punching in the cheats in all on her own, woopee!

Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter on the other hand has cheats that are impossible to enter, you need a cheat just to move your fingers fast enough to enter the cheat, and replaying some space fight scenes over and over are just annoying.

Cheats=good.
Time based game play limit = bad.

One thing to remember, test your cheats thoroughly, crazy game breaking bugs can happen. Its probably best to enable the cheats after a revision or two.
Quote:Time based game play limit = bad

Oh I hear you. I'll add to that:

Puzzle-games = good.
Puzzle-games where you can get stuck and have to: (a) relaunch OR (b) kill yourself = very, very bad.
reterpay08
Unregistered

Cheats are fine but with not some genres'
Mass Shooters= good
Quote:Puzzle-games = good.
Puzzle-games where you can get stuck and have to: (a) relaunch OR (b) kill yourself = very, very bad.
ONLY IF YOU DON"T KNOW HOW TO GET OUT OF IT

I love these cheat codes from older games
Quake 2 -god
no clip
give all
Doom- give(item)
Duke Nukem 2 -jet
god
Cheats Rock the Rio
capzkilla
Unregistered

most people i know ( including me ) agree with me that GTA 1, 2 etc are the most fun WITH cheats, but usually the best thing would be to have the players unlock cheats as they go, maybe just fun ones, like in the sims ( ok bad game example xD ) where you could give everyone huge heads, thats fun. I would have to agree that cheats can potentially lengthen gameplay if used ( after it's completed! )
Make your cheats not only creative in what they do, but creative in how you have to activate them in the first place. For example, Banjo Kazooie's sand castle.
On the flip side, cheats also ruin the game considerably. I have alot of friends who own ps2's and GTA:san andreas and alot of them cheated their way past the hard parts and then got bored and never finished the game.
skrew Wrote:On the flip side, cheats also ruin the game considerably. I have alot of friends who own ps2's and GTA:san andreas and alot of them cheated their way past the hard parts and then got bored and never finished the game.

That is important to note, therefore I'm more of a unlocking special content (which can be cheats) then typing some weird characters in a console.

Also, cheats that feels like they add something to the game, not just make it easier. Like in Perfect Dark, where some "cheats" made it harder (altought the majority made it easier, but some of those cheats was so hard to unlock you felt you needed the cheat to unlock it) and some cheats was just plain weird.

Sorry if the typing is weird, haven't slept for quite some time.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Krazygluon
Unregistered

I always liked how some games would allow you to cheat for a specific interval of the game, then send you back requiring you to do it without cheating. This way you can, if stuck, go through cheating to try to figure out how you'd go about it without cheating.

+1 for unlockable interesting cheats. say...if the player successfully survives a level where little or no ammo is purposefully made available, they get an unlimited ammo cheat. Or better yet, cinematic ammo Clips (never have to reaload every 10 bullets or whatev)

I have to agree that cheats in sandboxes like GTA are somewhat detrimental to gameplay, although borderline necessary for getting 100% completion ratings.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you can cheat in a game, does it hurt the gameplay experience? mercy^4 12 6,545 Jun 3, 2013 05:28 PM
Last Post: SitrepGames
  Adding Cheat Codes to your Mac game Baldock 2 5,580 Mar 10, 2005 10:20 PM
Last Post: Baldock
  cheat codes aarku 11 6,749 Jan 6, 2004 05:56 PM
Last Post: whogben