Quicktime 7 broke my application

Hi I'm new here, and also somewhat new to projectbuilder.

Two days ago I upgraded Quicktime to 7.0 and my app (Hollow Ground SE) hasn't compiled since. I'm using os 10.3.9 and it's a carbon app.

I get these linker errors:

ld: Undefined symbols:
_HICopyAccessibilityActionDescription referenced from QuickTime expected to be defined in Carbon
_HICopyAccessibilityRoleDescription referenced from QuickTime expected to be defined in Carbon
_LLCStyleInfoCheckForOpenTypeTables referenced from QuickTime expected to be defined in ApplicationServices
_LLCStyleInfoGetUserRunFeatures referenced from QuickTime expected to be defined in ApplicationServices
...failed StandaloneExecutable.LinkUsingFileList /HG1.5/HG 1.5 (X SDL).app/Contents/MacOS/HG 1.5 (X SDL) ...

I've searched apple's Q&A and I've even tried re-insalling project builder without progress.

Is there anyone out there who knows what the deal is with this? I greatly appreciate any and all assistance.

Chris Ball
Quote this message in a reply
I've experienced this as well (the thread's here), I don't pretend to know the cause of the problem, but I found the problem went away when I reinstalled Xcode - odd that reinstalling Xcode didn't fix the problem for you - did you run Xcode's uninstall script?

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Oldtimer
Terminal:
sudo fixPrecomps<enter>
Enter admin password<enter>
Go make a cup of coffee while it works
Rejoice. Wink
Thank you strange dark person; but there is no joy here... the problem persists despite sudo fixPrecomps and re-installing xcode.

I'm going to re-install my OS.

This is my 3rd day of lost productivity. Does Steve Jobs giggle himself to sleep at night as he thinks up new boobytraps to trouble my simple life? A pox on him and his senior staff.
Marjock
Unregistered

I had a similar problem which was fixed by a combination of running the uninstall XCode script, reinstlalling XCode and replacing the quicktime.framework with a slightly older one. My problem seemed to be that some 10.4 header files had gotten into my 10.3.9 system, but I'm not really sure. Thanks to everyone at iDevGames chatroom, I was able to fix the problem.

(That last bit made it sound like one of those Real-Life-Testimonies you see on infomertials O.o )

-Mark
Quote:I had a similar problem which was fixed by a combination of running the uninstall XCode script, reinstlalling XCode and replacing the quicktime.framework with a slightly older one.

Do you know where I can get an older quicktime.framework?
Marjock
Unregistered

Drop me an email at: kiwilandicMark @ gmail dot com

I'll reply with my one attached :-)

-Mark
Oldtimer
Right, so you're running 10.3.9 and updated QuickTime? Then you're cooked. Your best bet will be to install the 10.3.9 SDK from the Developer Tools CD, and then manually copy your Quicktime.framework from the 10.3.9 SDK folder to the 10.4 folder. Now, rejoice, damnit! Rasp
Strange dark person, eh? Gotta grab a new avatar, I look a lot kinder nowadays. Wink
I have:
Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework

but no 10.4 folder

I don't know why re-installing xcode didn't work. I did run the uninstall script.
Marjock
Unregistered

Email with what I'm pretty sure is the latest version of the quicktime.framework before Quicktime 7 is on it's way. =)

Takes about 40 years to send, due to a 128kbps upload speed, so I apologise for the delay.

-Mark
I got that tyvm.

Now I can't figure out how to get privileges to install it. :-P I tried the root user thing using NetInfo Manager. Says I don't have sufficient privileges.
Thanks everyone for your assistance. You've all shown me a lot of kindness. I'm up and running, and my app compiles again at last.

Now the bad news:

I just got done with 5 hours of re-installing OS 10.3.3 and upgrading it. I have never been so pissed at apple.Mad I would rather they had downloaded a virus onto my computer than Quicktime 7.

Seriously, they could have made the install script check for this situation. Was it too much trouble or were they unaware of the need?
They probably didn't know of the issue. (it has only been out for a couple of days, after all) I'd submit a bug report to ensure they'll fix it.
Oldtimer
Actually, the same thing happened with the first update to QT7 six months ago. Kicked the legs out from under me while I was wrapping up El Ballo. Sad Any way, I guess it's just that they want to bring QuickTime forward, and ideally, you should be working with the new headers instead of the old. Sadly, it's just not possible for some of us. For me, the QT7 headers weren't compatible with CodeWarrior...

I didn't issue a bug report back then, I guess I shoudl've. Sorry. Rasp
Sorry about hi-jacking this thead but we just updated as well and I am getting those errors while making a cocoa application. But I also get these errors on a different project.
ld: /Users/curtiscollins/Desktop/Programming/Enginuity_Engine/build/Enginuity_Engine.build/Enginuity_Engine.build/Objects-normal/ppc/CMap.o illegal reference to symbol: std::_Rb_tree_rotate_left(std::_Rb_tree_node_base*, std::_Rb_tree_node_base*&) defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
Do I have to reinstall xcode or replace some frameworks. And if I have to replace frameworks which ones do I have to do.

Thanks,
vbuser

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  XCode 3.1 Broke UB Linking Jake 6 5,237 Mar 11, 2008 02:33 PM
Last Post: Jake