Beginner-Intermediate level OpenGL tutorials

Jones
Unregistered

Recently I have been trying to adapt Neon Helium's OpenGL tutorials to OneSadCookie's GLUT environment... without much luck. It would appear that the NeHe tutorials are partially dependant on windows specific code.

Are there any tutorials out there that cover beginner/intermediate things like loading pictures using GLUT?

I'm not talking about the absolute basics, I can already make an OpenGL window (thanks to OSC's tutorial).

But I hunger for more! Smile

Any links would be nice!

'Jones
Quote this message in a reply
On the Nehe Codes scroll down to the bottom and download the Mac OS or the Mac OS X code for that project.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
If you can spare the change, go out and get yourself a copy of the OpenGL SuperBible. Probably the most accessible reference out there, at elast for starting. The RedBook is good too, but I think the SuperBible will get you up and running faster. Then you can go and understand all that stuff over at NeHe.

Cheers.

Jericho
Jones
Unregistered

kodex Wrote:On the Nehe Codes scroll down to the bottom and download the Mac OS or the Mac OS X code for that project.

Unfortunatly, Mac OS is outdated, and the Mac OS X comes with all that cocoa crap, which OneSadCookies tutorial does not use (Thank god!).

Call me stupid if you wish, but I still think that Cocoa is an overcomplicated language.
Glut will only take you so far. On a mac you will most likely end up using Carbon or Cocoa. Cocoa was easier for me to learn but lacked a lot of the power I was looking for. Carbon seemed a bit hard to learn at first but once you get into it, it'll come pretty quickly to you.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Jones
Unregistered

Ha-hah! My friend, this is where AppleScript takes control.

Just use applescript to read in the users display settings, or whatever you want, and pass it to your C code.

No complicated carbon OR cocoa needed!
Sage
Can AppleScript actually be used to pass any sort of image data to your code? I remember you asking about loading images into GLUT and I was just curious if/how you got that done.
Jones Wrote:Call me stupid if you wish...
Not stupid, just not educated enough on the subject to be throwing that kind of judgement around just yet. You have a lot of things to learn about the art of programming still. It will all come in time. Until then, I would encourage you to patiently study more and read carefully the excellent and knowledgeable advice offered around these digs. Get in the habit of clicking on "search" more than "post". Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL Tutorials with video Taxxodium 14 5,676 May 15, 2008 07:00 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  Beginner Carbon & OpenGL help jo_shadow 4 3,529 Jan 10, 2008 09:31 AM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX
  tutorials for setting up a window in opengl cocoa vbuser1338 6 4,459 Mar 14, 2005 02:16 PM
Last Post: maaaaark
  OpenGL mechanics tutorials? kelvin 4 3,556 Nov 24, 2004 10:10 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  OpenGL 2d tutorials???? menace690 13 8,159 Jan 24, 2004 06:43 PM
Last Post: menace690