Video Game Architecture

DoG
ferum Wrote:please do! I learned alot! Smile

I am certainly not such an authority on game engine architecture to write a book about it. However, I think it might be worthwhile if some of the creative heads and grammar fetishists on this forum got together to cough up a series of articles about their experiences. I'm up to pitching ideas, doing graphs, proof-reading, and typesetting, even more if nobody else is up to it Wink .

It'd be cool to have a community driven equivalent of the old mac game programming book or the game programming gems for mac.
Quote this message in a reply
ferum Wrote:please do! I learned alot! Smile
Sorry, somebody already beat him to it.
http://www.google.com/search?q=isbn+007301933X

Fresh out of my Software Engineering class, I think (hope) I've gained a new perspective on things. Much of my course work was on planning and documenting. And thinking back at all the game projects I've seen or been involved with, they were all nightmares. I wonder if game development will mature to the point where more good engineering practices can be applied. Not that I've seen, but I'd be surprised if big game houses like EA didn't rely on good software engineering practices. I think if you want to see examples of good game architectures try to find code for things like Madden '0X. The way they crank out a new version every year with (minimal) new features, I can't see a way that they don't have a sustainable, properly-engineered game architecture.

When I get back into the mix, I'll tell you if I do things differently. For now... work school work school work school...

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
DoG Wrote:I think it might be worthwhile if some of the creative heads and grammar fetishists on this forum got together to cough up a series of articles about their experiences. I'm up to pitching ideas, doing graphs, proof-reading, and typesetting, even more if nobody else is up to it Wink .
It'd be cool to have a community driven equivalent of the old mac game programming book or the game programming gems for mac.

I think that would be amazing. There was also talk of a community made game awhile back, but i think that got bogged down in the debate of what it should be written in etc.
This is a topic I'm very interested in too. I basically have four versions of my game engine at this point for the four games made. Each version an improvement over the last in various areas because when I start a new game project I realize certain parts of the engine could have been done in a better way.

I find myself always trying to figure out how to best split the engine parts into various modules so some article on this subject written by somebody who actually knows what he's talking about would be very welcome.

I'm currently working on the fifth version of the engine and I'd like to believe it's a better and clearer design than the last one. Often it also seems to be a compromise between speed/efficiency and nicely defined modules.

KenD

CodeBlender Software - http://www.codeblender.com
Sage
KenD Wrote:I basically have four versions of my game engine at this point... Each version an improvement over the last
I know how you feel. I've written about 4 or 5 different 3d "engines" because I had a better idea on how to implement a function or optimize the code in some way. They aren't actually engines as all they really are is a camera class, an OBJ loader and then a few other things.

I do know with my Spyscroller project, unknown and I are trying to just keep things logical. Have some classes that are just there as containers. Don't have one class draw itself if that doesn't make sense. Have another class do it referencing its data.

I suppose you could summarize my technique (if you could call it that) as logical. I believe that if a person just keeps thing logical in terms of how an object would act in real life (to some extent), it all seems to turn out all right. This is all just what I've noticed, so I could be wrong Smile. Heck, I'm not even done with the game. I may get closer and realize my way is completely wrong and have to redo all of it Mad .

ferum Wrote:There was also talk of a community made game awhile back, but i think that got bogged down in the debate of what it should be written in etc.
If you (or anyone) gets that off the ground, I'm still interested. I could only help a little bit as most of my time is occupied by the Spyscroller, but it's definitely a good idea.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Video Game Design Philosophy Carlos Camacho 1 2,895 Nov 1, 2004 08:28 PM
Last Post: JustinFic